Balance Shaft (silent shaft) questions - g54b engine

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Balance Shaft (silent shaft) questions - g54b engine

Post by douglovin »

I think my balance shaft.. or as the book calls it. Silent Shaft is bad. It does have excessive play I think. The timing sprockets can not line up because of the play it has.

I was searching for a replacement and I came across an Eliminator kit. I guess that is just a new chain that goes from the oil pump to crank shaft?

I searched for ways to remove it on the site and I can only find the ones with a belt and not a chain.

What do yall think? Replace or eliminate?
douglovin
[P] Plater austaz

Post by douglovin »

Here are two pictures. The first picture shows the sprocket and spacer pushed all the way down and fully tightned. You can see how the chain doesn't line up no more by looking at the chain guide and lower sprocket.

Picture two is where the sprocket should sit to line up.. but you can see the quarter inch gap from the spacer to the block

pic 1

pic 2
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: Balance Shaft (silent shaft) questions - g54b engine

Post by cheaterparts »

douglovin wrote:I think my balance shaft.. or as the book calls it. Silent Shaft is bad. It does have excessive play I think. The timing sprockets can not line up because of the play it has.

I was searching for a replacement and I came across an Eliminator kit. I guess that is just a new chain that goes from the oil pump to crank shaft?

I searched for ways to remove it on the site and I can only find the ones with a belt and not a chain.

What do yall think? Replace or eliminate?
eliminate !! the kit removes the top shaft and blocks the bottom shaft

you can make the parts your self

remove the top shaft assembly remove the shaft from the front bearing
the front bearing assembly for the top shaft has a oil hole that needs to be blocked the fit it back in the block as both front and rear top bearings are lubed from there that part is done

second remove the oil pump the bottem shaft then can be removed from the pump cut the shaft so about 1/2" will still hang out the back of the pump weld the hole that is left in the center of the stub shaft this will block the oil to the rear bearing that now is not used

refit the pump with a smaller chain and the only chain guide you will need is the bottom skid guide

I always make my own elim kit this way

hope this helps
cheater
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Post by starrzzy »

Flav, has just talked me thru doing mine .. 4G63 lower bal shaft .. going cut it in few min.. have taken photo ..will post them on the "new to the group" in technical .. If you take your time and have flav as a teacher you can do it yourself.............Barry