Ballast resistor?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
honest_jim
Dorifto!

Ballast resistor?

Post by honest_jim »

Ive got hold of an MSD blaster 2 coil will it go straight on to the starion or would i need a ballast resistor to go with it? :beer
Starion 2000 EX.. bosch fuel pump, sard dumpvalve, knN drilled air box, Haltech F5 + 2 injectors, turbosmart FCD + Dual stage boost controller, tublar turbo header, turbo back 2.5" stainless exhaust 4.5" tip, Innovate MS wideband A/F meter.
honest_jim
Dorifto!

Post by honest_jim »

bump :oops: anyone know?
Starion 2000 EX.. bosch fuel pump, sard dumpvalve, knN drilled air box, Haltech F5 + 2 injectors, turbosmart FCD + Dual stage boost controller, tublar turbo header, turbo back 2.5" stainless exhaust 4.5" tip, Innovate MS wideband A/F meter.
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jakobsladderz »

My guess is no, balast resistors were only used with point type ignitions to save wear and tear on the points. since the starion has transistor ignition and transistor coils are generally fairly low impedance, you should be right with it as is.. Transistor ignitions usually have built-in current control to prevent the coil getting too hot, I imagine the staz's fits in this category..
Anyone to second that?
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Ballast resistor is used to drop the coil input voltage down to about 9V. The blaster should be capable of receiving straight 12V without the need for a ballast resistor. Check the box to make doubly sure
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I have a MSD coil though its not a msd blaster 2 but it doesnt need a ballast resistor.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Mr Ralliart
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Mr Ralliart »

I've been through the Coil business ad nauseum with Starions . I've actually had long discussions with Ralliart , MSD in the US , Bosch , Denso , etc. As well as trying many different things .

To cut a long story short , if you are using anything resembling the standard type ignition system , there is absolutely NO ADVANTAGE in changing from a standard type coil , and as the Factory Ignition computer is actually quite sensitive , you can damage it ( suddenly or gradually) by using the wrong thing . :wink:
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .

honest_jim
Dorifto!

Post by honest_jim »

the coil went back on ebay anyhow as i came round to the idea if it aint broke dont fix it.....well until i go mappable ignition anyway thanks for the sugestions anyway everyone.