2.6 into a starion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
linx
Newcomer

2.6 into a starion

Post by linx »

Hi everyone...

I have recently aquired a starion that has a blown engine. I have been a bit of an old school mitsu person for a wile. And have had 2 sigmas and a scorpian.

I was after information, and am asking if anyone here has tried to install a 2.6 L astron (4G54) into a Starion.

Before anyone asks why bother... I have a sigma with a 2.6 L motor that is churning out around 180hp.... It is also NA. It continuousely eats Diffs and has destroy a tailshaft, a Uni Joint, 1 diff centre, 2 axles and a chassi mount for the right rear control arm.

I take said car, to the mountain road surrounding the coast and eat away a set of brake pads every3 weeks... when it is on the road.

So an Upgrade to a starion i think is in good order.

Please some info on putting the 2.6 in a starion would be good, at least for a stop gap untill I can either fix or find another 4g63. (or another 53)

Have a good weekend ..
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

My starion and all the US starions came out with the 2.6 standard. So fitmet shouldnt' be much of a problem at all.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

2.6L conversions have been done before, gadget had a 2.6L turbo on his car, apparently throws the cars balance off a bit and creates understeer due to the heavier block etc.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i`ve got a good running 4G63 engine (long motor only no turbo) 4 sale if ur interested... $660 can deliver to gold coast included..

or if ur really that keen on a 4G54 then pm mrbishi on here he has a wide body and loves the 2.6`s..

but my thoughts on this r well known, and there are so many performance parts available for the 4G63 here...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
linx
Newcomer

Post by linx »

Thanks redzone I will keep that in mind when I sought out a budget...I have not seen this car yet... not sure if the engine will run at all... but keep the info going guys thanks.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I have a good stock 4G63 bottom end if you need it.
The 2.6 will bolt in using the stock sigma mounts and fits straight up to the starion gearbox. Turbo, ECU etc are a different matter.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

linx wrote:
I was after information, and am asking if anyone here has tried to install a 2.6 L astron (4G54) into a Starion.

Before anyone asks why bother... I have a sigma with a 2.6 L motor that is churning out around 180hp.... It is also NA. It continuousely eats Diffs and has destroy a tailshaft, a Uni Joint, 1 diff centre, 2 axles and a chassi mount for the right rear control arm.

I take said car, to the mountain road surrounding the coast and eat away a set of brake pads every3 weeks... when it is on the road.

So an Upgrade to a starion i think is in good order.
as it has been said the motor will bolt staight in using sigma mounts if fact the x-member is the same as a sigma ( I run a starion front end that x-member through to struts in my sigma and its all bolt in no mods )

what have you done to your N/A 2.6 to make it go
Im interested as I run a 2.6 N/A myself and have not got to this hp as yet
maybe with the new build
11 :1 comp - efi quad 50 mm TBs and multi coil more head work lightened crank much lighter flywheel 4.8 Kg
7000 + camshaft
Starion_Turbo wrote:2.6L conversions have been done before, gadget had a 2.6L turbo on his car, apparently throws the cars balance off a bit and creates understeer due to the heavier block etc.
this is some thing that come up a lot when fitting a 2.6 to a starion how ever the balance is better than the same motor in a sigma
so if your sigma steers you should have no probs with the starion

by the linx my starion is also getting the 4G54 treatment but will be a track car only
the next thing for it is to get some material to build the cage

cheater
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Do it! Keep us informed of the progress. If you need any parts im here.
linx
Newcomer

Post by linx »

Thanks for the support. It is nice to know that it does bolt straight in. Having done auto>manual conversion's to sigmas...(painful) I was worried that I would have to find a narrow block to get it to fit the starion gearbox.

Cheaterparts... my quote was at the flywheel. And Im not entirely sure of that figure. I am just going by the fact that I beat my mates CA18DET s13.

I didn't build my engine, the car just came to me this way. The engine was built by someone who once built rally engines for Datto1600's.

It is powered by a webber carbe, cam makes max power at around 6500 and revs to 8000 if need be. It has a balanced bottom and and will have the balance shafts removed to help the top end when it goes into the starion.

I plan to get the compression raised, some head work, efi and a nicer cam in the future.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

linx wrote: I was worried that I would have to find a narrow block to get it to fit the starion gearbox.

Cheaterparts... my quote was at the flywheel. And Im not entirely sure of that figure. I am just going by the fact that I beat my mates CA18DET s13.

It is powered by a webber carbe, cam makes max power at around 6500 and revs to 8000 if need be. It has a balanced bottom and and will have the balance shafts removed to help the top end when it goes into the starion.

I plan to get the compression raised, some head work, efi and a nicer cam in the future.
no its the fat block to bolt up to starion box

"my quote was at the flywheel. And Im not entirely sure of that figure."
your quote is prob a little high at 180 hp I would say more like less than 100 hp try it on a dyno

cheater
kit
Enthusiast king

Post by kit »

the 2.6l is 2 slow put in the 4g63 2L with multi point you will get better results
Show Image: Image
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

kit wrote:the 2.6l is 2 slow put in the 4g63 2L with multi point you will get better results
you might be right
but you still cant convince me to use a smaller motor than already have
same goes with the EFI multi I already have magna manifolds in stock
that I mod for other guys

once I get mine going we should try and get to a sprint meating together some where and you could show me how a starion should go and steer

cheater
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

cheaterparts wrote: you might be right
but you still cant convince me to use a smaller motor than already have
same goes with the EFI multi I already have magna manifolds in stock
that I mod for other guys

once I get mine going we should try and get to a sprint meating together some where and you could show me how a starion should go and steer

cheater
From your Avatar seems like you do track stuff. I can garrantee your Sigma would handle a shit load better with a 4G63.
I have 2 Starions one with a 2.6 the other with a 2.0. While the 2.6 car makes good power the 2.0 handles WAY better on the track.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

mrb1 wrote: From your Avatar seems like you do track stuff. I can garrantee your Sigma would handle a shit load better with a 4G63.
I have 2 Starions one with a 2.6 the other with a 2.0. While the 2.6 car makes good power the 2.0 handles WAY better on the track.
believe it or not my sigma has not got an understeer problem and never has
I had over steer problems when it was put on the track in 1999
the rear end was way to tight
mostly my doing I fitted noalthane bushes and a small rear bar
so the bar had to go as did the hard bushes and the 2 inner lat supports also went I fitted a heavier front bar and upped the spring rate in the front

you will also note how wide the track is on my avatar
and I think the same front end spec would work on the starion
I use 5.5 deg neg camber 6 deg pos caster and for fast tracks like phillip island about 6 mm toe out and say a slow track like morwell hillclimb 8 - 10 mm toe out
mind you the thing does wander a bit over 210 with 6 mm toe out but you can live with it

I'm sure that any under steer that a 2.6 would have over a 4g63 can be dailed out
and I dont think there is much weight difference between a stock 4g63 and my 2.6 motors
my flywheel and clutch assembley is 8.3 Kg in total ring fitted
thats a saving of about 12+ Kg
there is a other 1/2 - 3/4 kg comes out of the crank
by the time the engine sits back 50 - 60 mm
I think the balance will be fine

cheater
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

I would say you are correct. You know your stuff as i have run similar figures in top race cars that you have quoted. I dont see that amount of toe-in necessary tho unless there is a bump steer issue or you have purposely dialed in bump steer to avoid other handling issues. But as far as the 2.6 goes...i have had some mostrous power from them in the early days when turbos became big in the early 80's. And as the weight issue..well your on the money on that one too. The 2.6 i used was from the scorpion GJ and not the sigma astron. There will always be differing opinions on these engines but its all up to the mods that are performed to what the result will be.