Weight of the JA

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
EVN666
Lil' Dorifto

Weight of the JA

Post by EVN666 »

Just woundering what the standard weight is of the JA Starion. Been thinking about ripping out the backseat as nothing fits on it anyway, how much do you guys think this would lower the weight by?
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Mine is 1270kg! I think that's pretty standard across the board! Some people get really carried away with weight reduction and get rid of useful parts. The Air-con would be a good example! The back seat won't weigh an awful lot, but would help a bit I suppose, probably not enough for you to notice a difference!

Here's an idea to ponder over though... our four cylinder 4G63 2.0L engine weighs more then a Gen3 V8!? :o
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Holy crap.....Can't believe our little engine weighs that much....

I don't have a/c, power steering, carpet, sound deadening, back seat (most of the time).....Only the essentials....Front seats, dash, and spare tyre.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
EVN666
Lil' Dorifto

Post by EVN666 »

The 4g weighs more than the GenIII!!!!!! Are you serious?! Thats crazy...

Yeah, I'm not going to go over board with weight reduction. I think the air conditioner is a useful thing, even though mine needs a biiger belt at the front to go around its pulley thing so it will work :?. I don't know, it was like that when I bought it, they reckon it works. Just weird that they would have put a smaller belt on there...
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

I stripped all my stuff off from when I was rallying.....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
EVN666
Lil' Dorifto

Post by EVN666 »

Yeah, my power steering doesn't work for some reason. It has fluid and everything, and isn't making that noise like the fluid isn't going through or anything. Needs a replacement I think. I'm used to driving it like it though, was like it when I bought it. I was thinking of just pissing it off. Cheaper than buying a recoed pump I think...
Glen GSR III
guess its me thats broke

Post by Glen GSR III »

:shock: how much does our engine weigh??
82 GSR III starion (respray nearly complete!)
83 JA Starion...Daily Driver
01 KTM 520 trail bike (reason the staz isnt finished yet)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

About 100Kg with the Turbo and both manifolds on :wink:
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

chunkhead wrote: Here's an idea to ponder over though... our four cylinder 4G63 2.0L engine weighs more then a Gen3 V8!? :o
So a Gen3 V8 weighs less than 100kgs? :wtf:
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

The rear seat weighs almost nothing so there's not much point. You would also have to re-register the car as a 2-seater if you do this.

I don't see much point in removing stuff to save weight unless you can remove it from the engine bay - anywhere else and all you're doing is shifting more of the weight balance onto the front wheels which won't help you.
crshbndct
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by crshbndct »

the gen3 is shorter, narrower, less tall, and lighter than a sohc (and dohc) 4g63.

in 300hp form it uses a ton less gas too.

it might have push rods, but every bit of the engine is as technologically advanced as the latest from the jappas. and the gen iv is even lighter, (both weight and on gas)
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I was reading in zoom awhile back that the v8 all alloy engine in the classic rovers weighed in at around 145kg, which they said was lighter than the ls1 engine. There is no way a ls1 engine will be narrower than a 4g63, and I dont think it would be lighter than the 4g63. I've lifted a 4g63 out of the boot of my car with the help of two other people (my sister and fiancee arent exactly strong, actually neither am i :oops: ) and it took two guys to put it in my boot, that is without any manifolds.

The rear seats with the seat belts weigh about 10kgs at best, its really not worth it unless ur really going to strip your car, but you defintately save more weight removing the aircon, the compressor alone weighs more than the back seat stuff.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

crshbndct wrote:the gen3 is shorter, narrower, less tall, and lighter than a sohc (and dohc) 4g63.

it might have push rods, but every bit of the engine is as technologically advanced as the latest from the jappas. and the gen iv is even lighter, (both weight and on gas)
I think you got your numbers mixed up somewhere along the way.......so unless you can show me a link or scan saying the Gen3 weighs under 100Kg, then I just won't be able to believe you.
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Guess that's where my car is at an advantage...It has no ac compressor due to the larger hi mount turbo, and no power steering, due to it being too light for my liking.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
crshbndct
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by crshbndct »

toysrus wrote:
crshbndct wrote:the gen3 is shorter, narrower, less tall, and lighter than a sohc (and dohc) 4g63.

I think you got your numbers mixed up somewhere along the way.......so unless you can show me a link or scan saying the Gen3 weighs under 100Kg, then I just won't be able to believe you.
what is the weight of a 4g63 sohc, long motor with manifolds and turbo?