cordia vs starion???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
S73R
Big Dorifto

cordia vs starion???

Post by S73R »

hey guys i was argueing with a cordia freek on whos car is better.....
between a starion and a cordia
and well has anyone raced a staz and a cordia or draged each other??
who is really better???
and will i get shamed out if i drag a stock cordia with the boost at the same rate as wat i am running???
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

You've asked a question that has caused a bit of trouble in the past.

Truth is cordia's are faster in a straight line due to them being 200 odd kg's lighter and having less drive chain loss, however there not suited to track racing due to there weaker chassis.
Where as the starion is slower in a straight line stock but will out handle a stock cordia hands down, the extra weight comes from the stronger chassis which can handle alot more stress plus the RWD setup gives it better character on the track.

With money spent in the right places, a starion will pull very hard in a straight line and be a better all round performer.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

That was a great answer.

I have raced a cordia when my car was stock, and I beat them both hands down. I raced both the cordia and Turbo Cordia. The Cordia was so much slower. But the Turbo cordia was so close on my ass. It was good. But it could have been the difference in drivers, not the cars. It was pretty close.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

I have owned both a Starion and a Cordia....

In terms of performance, in a day to day situation I prefer the Cordia.

But in all out performance and handling, I have to go with the Starion.

If I had an option, I would probably go for a Cordia again. It seemed to be a much more fun car for me, although I disliked the FWD thing.....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
S73R
Big Dorifto

Post by S73R »

well i owned a toyta celcar 86 non-turbo FF (as aposed to the staz (FR)
and i out manovred meny cars the to the FF cornering advanges
and my bro owned the cordia about 10 yrs ago and it went hard....
the only deal he had with it was that it had drum brakes at the back.....
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

FF and FR aren't the only things that will dictate how the car handles, the chassis and the suspension setup will have dramatic effects aswell.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

FF and FR make for very a different drive. so i would have to disagree.
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

FF and FR aren't the only things that will dictate how the car handles

"aren't the only things"
I'm sure they're are some FWD cars out there that will out handle RWD cars, I wouldn't expect a corolla DX to out handle a Type R intergra.
Last edited by Junkers on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
85_cordia_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 85_cordia_gsr »

just chuck sum magna rear discs on the cordia, its a pretty easy mod :)
DANMAN
*** Half Century Post ***

Post by DANMAN »

0-100km times the Cordia was a faster car but I think at around 120km's the Starions would catch them due to more torque and aero-dynamics I believe (I may be wrong, just what I've read).

Cordia co-efficeint drag - 0.34.
Starion co-efficeint drag - 0.32.

I must admit I was a V8 nut when I was 17 (12 years ago when Jap cars weren't so common in Oz, at least not where I was from) with an XA Falcon and thought 4 cylinder Jap cars were slow. A mate of mine had a 1.6 litre Cordia, we dragged and I whooped it. Then he bought a stock Cordia Turbo , We dragged again. I got cained. :oops: Three days later I had a Cordia Turbo. Same coulour and all. I have only had 4 cylinder Turbo-charged cars ever since. I have a huge soft spot for the Cordia Turbo's but I had my eye on a Starion for a long time. Gotta love that RWD!!!
Daily Driver: S13 Silvia - 245 RWKW's (328 RWHP) @ 17PSI. 22PSI Coming soon!
Then I have my fast car.... A Turbo-charged Lotus seven Clubman!!!
Cheap turbo and performance parts @
www.teambooyar.com.au / www.wcr.net.au
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

I own both, JD Starion and AB Cordia Turbo.

I prefer the Starion over the cordia. Better handling, LSD RWD, Intercooler, much better interior, better standard equipment (power steering etc).

Only real plus's i can think of with cordia is that parts are much easier to get and i dont feel guilty when i hack up bits of the car to make things fit, like an oil cooler, as i know i can get a new bit for a few bucks
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

When we raced the Starions in production car racing there were also Cordia's racing as well. The Starions were much faster.
This was a good comparison because the mods allowed (not many!) were the same for both cars.
The Starion has a lot more top end you notice the extra 200cc.
crshbndct
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by crshbndct »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:

"aren't the only things"
I'm sure they're are some FWD cars out there that will out handle RWD cars, I wouldn't expect a corolla DX to out handle a Type R intergra.
you have never driven a dx corolla with decen suspension then
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

crshbndct wrote:
StazzyBabyYeah wrote:

"aren't the only things"
you have never driven a dx corolla with decen suspension then
i think that was his point.
_

Post by Mr Ralliart »

mrb1 wrote:When we raced the Starions in production car racing there were also Cordia's racing as well. The Starions were much faster.
This was a good comparison because the mods allowed (not many!) were the same for both cars.
The Starion has a lot more top end you notice the extra 200cc.
DITTO to that !

I must say it's always annoyed me a bit , the SLOW Quarter mile times quoted on this (and Bishi Boys) forum for Starions .
Everyone just quotes the times related by a couple of Cloth hat wearing Modern Motor Reporters who would drive the car off the line and record times of 16. something or even 17 seconds .

According to Articles I've seen from other Magazines and countries , the average times were well under that with some being as quick as low 15's ,
this was providing you dumped the clutch at 5500 rpm or more .

Yes I realize some countries had different ECU's but the differences were too subtle to make that much of a performance difference.

There's a famous story of a guy who turned up to the street drags in Surfers Paradise in the late '80s with a stock Starion with just a zorst and proceeded to blow away the local hero in his GT Falcon .

I also realize that there is more to choosing a car than Quarter mile times but this is something I've wanted to get off my chest for a while .

End of rant . . . :P
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .