Ideas needed

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Ideas needed

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Ok, My dad is probably getting a widebody and is putting in a evo engine. What would I need to do to get it beating gtr 34 skylines? My dad is tossing up between the two and wants to spend about $30k on it. We are going to probably put the evo turbo on, big cooler, engine management(obviously), mpi and anything else that could make it fast. Any ideas would be great.

Woody
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Ask Chris Collier (www.beyondthelimit.com.au) - he's got something similar, but without the widebody, or Coltspeed, or an Evo workshop might be a go
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Beat a stock one or a modified one?
Firstly, 2wd vs 4wd, that hurdle will be hard to overcome.
2nd, 2 litres vs 2.6 litres, 4 cylinders vs 6.
There are some psycho GTR's around, 250, 300 + rwkw.
Your advantage will be less weight to lug around.
Good luck.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

ideas

Post by WANTSOM »

I have an idea, lets swap dads.

Mine is, embarassingly, a "Bloody Volvo Driver" !!!. I want a dad that wants to spend $30K on a Starion.

I actually do like my dad, but a Volvo aaggggggghhhhhh.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

RE:

Post by SIRIUS »

hmm puttin a evo engine in a staz should be able to beat a stock gtr... maybe not off the line...but i dont see much people with stock gtrs so u might be screwed...by only fittin a xhaust, power fc comp an gettin it dyno tuned they see around the 270rwkw...that is a fair bit of bloody horse.....
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

turbo

Post by tmz_99 »

if u got that sorta money to spend, get rid of the standard TD05 turbo and put in some nice HKS roller bearing unit, like a 2530 or even bigger.. :)
you could also get some nice HKS cams, even a motec m800...
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Well i haven't put this engine combo in a staz but in my bros vr4 we've embarassed many a modded gtr with mitsu power

turbo wise you'd need 2530 or above for sure to beat a gtr we're running a hks2835r and it's bloddy psycotic it's efficiency range is at it's peaki between 19 -25 psi so your gonna need a relatively fresh engine, my bros vr4 eng has 200 thou on it with good comp and it's not deterirating too much but i know a friend who thrashed it day in day out at 25 psi(same combo) racing it all the time and his engine kicked it after about two years. We run it at 19psi for now and flick the switch to 25 if the competition's tight (thats when it really gets scary) needless to say gtr owners get really pissed off when they think theyre dragging a magna heheh. :twisted:

As with any engine with a turbo around that size (450hp) youre gonna need at least 550cc injectors, fuel reg, management, large intercooler, 3' low restriction exhaust faster thermo fans etc this cost roughly around 10 grand for us and netted 250kw atw(all four) so with a budget of 30k you shoud be laughing. LOL

I'm not sure if the staz driveline/gearbox could take the abuse so a supra gearbox + twin plate should be on the cards just incase hehehe
:wink:

go mitsubish!!!!
Last edited by 4g6beat on Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

:D

Post by tmz_99 »

just copy this guys engine:
http://www.onboost.co.nz/blrple/
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

just don't copy his body kit styling i do not like the custom face he is putting on his car
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

To go with all the above , let's not forget a simple (& cheap) home-made water/methanol injection. There are HEAPS of resources on the web.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I think that your dad should start out with a VR4 block (and even engine) not an EVO as the engine will need to be rebuilt with forged internals to make some serious power. The EVO engines are harder to find and cost much more.

The widebodies drivetrain is stronger than the flat body so that is a plus. But you may want to use a Starion block to overcome any gearbox matching difficulties. A 2.4L bottom end is another option.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

blurples galant is psyco hes on the clubvr4.org forums and is australasias fastest street vr4.

With that combination expect that combo to got at least low 10's as his time of 11.6 was performed before he did most of his major mods, if you did that to your staz i wouldn't put nines out of the picture heheheh and i wouldn't be worried about gtrs i'd be worried about your car taking off!!
forget about streetability aswell (unless of course you want go in a straight line heheheh)

go go gadget wings!! :D
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Evo engine

Post by WidebodyWoody »

The thing is, we would be buying the widebody off of my friend and mechanic. It is white and he has a brand new, well, it is a rally evo engine that has just been re-built and sitting in a hoist. The engine and starion we could get for around $15,000. Then we just have to get the ems and bigger turbzz. Then the rest. Unfortunately I have to talk him into getting it because he is selling his HSV VT and spending the money on either a GTR or Starion. He wanted my optionion and he got it. I told him to go the stazz because he loves them and spending the amount on the starion that he would spend getting the GTR, he would kick there ass. Besides, he drives my old JA around and loves it. He drives it more then his HSV. :)

Woody
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Ralliart Australia built a few 2.4 litre engines with the VR4 head that were used in Pajero's in the Australian Safari. This is worth looking into as the extra 400cc is going to give a lot more bottom end power.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

that 20grand starion in the trader not long ago has got a new add in this week for $15,500. buy that and the widebody and thats ur 30grand :P mix and match for 2 damn sexy cars :P