Back-firing.....?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Back-firing.....?

Post by toysrus »

Ok, so whilst revving the Engine in neutral up to 6000rpm then letting the accelerator go, it will make about 3-4 pops /noise out the exhaust. Is this from unburnt fuel getting into the Turbine ?

It has new NGK Leads and Plugs but running the old coil......could it be a sign the coil is getting old and tired ? or something else such as the 2 1/2 > 4" Cat > 2 1/2" exhaust system design ?

Cheers
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

I have a 3" setup on mine, she makes the same noises! Like a crackle? Bit like a V8? :?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

Sounds like it's running rich.. this may happen for a number of reasons if you're running the stock computer, it's basically trying to compensate for your mods by running in "safe" mode.
---------
TVR T350C
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

bang

Post by Starion VR4 »

mmm.. just have a look at yr exhaust manifold, me thinks U have a cracked 1 or a leak in the gasket area, they usually crack in the middle where the pipes joint in the centre, between #2-3 clyinder underneath. Another way is to place yr hand over the exhaust pipe to block all air escaping( have some1 else do it 4 U) it car stalls soon after all is well, if not U should be able 2 pim point where the leak is with the amount of air rushing out. :beer :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
honest_jim
Dorifto!

Post by honest_jim »

Mine does the same thing since i got a 2 1/2 inch turbo back exhaust fitted the car seems happy enough though and is running better than ever so im not too fussed about it. My old nissan s-12 turbo did the same thing when i got a big exhaust on that too. Im pritty sure my staz doesent spit fire in anger its only when it revs down it just pop's abit, sounds good though.
Last edited by honest_jim on Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starion 2000 EX.. bosch fuel pump, sard dumpvalve, knN drilled air box, Haltech F5 + 2 injectors, turbosmart FCD + Dual stage boost controller, tublar turbo header, turbo back 2.5" stainless exhaust 4.5" tip, Innovate MS wideband A/F meter.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Had the exhaust manifold crack welded up :beer

It does try to almost stall though after making the pop noises etc but composes itself and sets back to idling nicely. The only mods is the exhuast system, apart from that the Starion is stock as a rock.
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Hey yeah, mine pretends to stall when I slow down through gears to a complete stop! Bastard! :x
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
grumbly
Strut Braces

Post by grumbly »

sounds like a mixture problem. mine does it, but wil tune it out later...I love programmable ecu's.

basically, when you release the throttle the injectors still squirt some fuel...
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Hmm, had the Injectors cleaned and flow tested and are perfect at the moment, so maybe AFM related or something along the fuel system such as the return line........
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

My starion backfires on over run - right on 2K rpm and 22" Vac (which happens to be what it holds coasting down hills at 50-60 kph) . pretty violently too !
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

the popping/backfireing on throttle overun is caused by too much ignition advance under vacume, and possibly too lean a mixture under these conditions.

Maybe you have the vac hose from dizzy to TB on the wrong port.

It wont do it if its running rich, but an excessive lean mixture will exaserbate the problem.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Hmm, I've drop the static Timing down to 5 degrees BTDC for 14psi of :twisted:
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

unfortunately dropping static timing kills off boost performance, as well as some of theon boost power. you realy need to go aftermarket ecu
grumbly
Strut Braces

Post by grumbly »

mine does it when rich, not lean, due to unburnt fuel (according to my dyno guy)
Barney
Scorpion King

Re: Back-firing.....?

Post by Barney »

toysrus wrote:Ok, so whilst revving the Engine in neutral up to 6000rpm then letting the accelerator go, it will make about 3-4 pops /noise out the exhaust. Is this from unburnt fuel getting into the Turbine ?

It has new NGK Leads and Plugs but running the old coil......could it be a sign the coil is getting old and tired ? or something else such as the 2 1/2 > 4" Cat > 2 1/2" exhaust system design ?

Cheers
Reving to 6000rpm in neutral is the single worst thing you can do to an engine. There is no load on the piston this can cause major damage to the bearings especialy the little end. In racing terms it's known as "buzzing the engine" as it the same thing as missing a gear.

Think about it, at 6000rpm your piston is going up and down 100 times per second! :shock:

DONT DO IT ANYMORE. BEARINGS ARE YOUR FRIENDS :wink:

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine