My starion and the engine

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
typer
Big Dorifto

My starion and the engine

Post by typer »

well i took the head of the engine and guess what.. isn't there just a 2-3cm metal ball on top off the piston... also there was a 2 smaller balls.. i don't know what that is or where that came from.
So the pistonshaft is broken or bent
(that shaft that holds the piston from the crankshaft, dont know what that is called)
And the piston is cracked... theres a big hole on it... on the top...
I checked the turbine, and it seems to be ok...

So i know a guy that owns a 2.6 Liter engine and wants so much for it that i just want to keep my 2.0Liter...

Can i use piston and the pistonshaft or what ever that is call'd from a Eclipse 4G63 ?

And where can i buy a better ones that handles more power if i want to buy a better turbo in the future? do i need something else in the block to handle maby 300hp ? a piston and pistonshaft.. ??
Mitsubishi Starion '87
Mitsubishi Starion '87
Toyota Corolla '94
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

The metal things that hold your piston are called con rods, the metal pins that hold your pistons to the conrods are gudgeon pins. When i damaged my engine from pinging 'only' the ring lands broke off, so you must have had some serious detonation in there to make a hole in the piston, which chances are your conrod/s would be bent too. Either that or something went through it like a valve but you said they look fine, and from memory the reliefs in the pistons would mean the valves wouldnt it anyway. Those metal balls are probably the left over of your piston?

You can use the pistons from the eclipse 4g63 but your engine will no longer be free spining i think the term is, in that if you snap a timing belt your valves will go through your pistons. Also there are 2 sizes when it comes to gudgeon pins in the eclipse 4g63, 21mm and 22mm, 1g or first generation is 21mm and the 2g or second generation are 22mm. Starion gudgeon pins are 22mm by the way.
Last edited by RiceThief on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i think he means the con-rods (short for connecting rods typer)

bent/snapped con-rod and damaged piston? would have damaged the block aswell??

have a look at steve`s (starion gsrvr) post in the for sale section. he has a complete engine to give away, located in england so shipping not that bad compared to here...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
typer
Big Dorifto

Post by typer »

yes i'm talking about connecting rods, didn't know what that was called in english... :)
Mitsubishi Starion '87
Mitsubishi Starion '87
Toyota Corolla '94
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Sorry didnt double check my post, first post has been modified, re the engine redzone is talking about click http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=5685
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five