Tacho wire missing

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Tacho wire missing

Post by TOMSUN »

I need to find the wire that used to go from my coil to the tacho.

I have got gotten rid of the single coil and gone to twin coils.
But i need to find the wire and connect it to the green wire on the EMS ignitor to make the tacho work.

Are either of these 2 wires the one I'm after? If not could some one please pose a pic of the wire and conector that I should be looking for... :beer

1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I think its neither one of those, the first one with the black plug isnt even connected in my car. The wires I have connected to my negative coil is one that has two wires on the one ring connector, the wire colours are blue and yellow, the other is an all black wire that goes into a condensor i think they are called, its a metal thing about the size of a half a cig, black wire goes into it and a yellow wire comes out. If you want pics let me know.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

RiceThief... I pic would be much appreciated... :beer
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Ok sorry about the blurry pics but its abit too dark for any decent pics, the first two pics you can see the wires coming out from the left side of the coil, theres the blue and yellow wire, they are joined together on the one ring, then theres the black wire that leads to the metal thingy in the third pic.

TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

RiceThief...

Thanks for the pics. Yeah, they are a little blury but it seem you have an aftermarket set up. I was hoping you would have a pic of a factory setup.

I had another look at he the JB wiring diagram (an AuStarion.com resource) and it looks like it should be a W/B White with a Black trace...
Where the heck is it hiding?
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Tomsun, its actually the only aftermarket part is the coil and ignitor, the tacho itself is standard running off the coil negative so it should still apply to you. If you look at the second pic of the coil the yellow wire with the black conduit branching to the left is aftermarket, the blue and yellow wires pointing up is standard starion and the black wire going to the right is standard too.

Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Interested in this as my tacho does not work either. What type of input does the stock tacho wire need to operate the tacho?
..More than meets the eye..
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

RiceThief,

Is this a white/black wire connected to your coil?
If so where does it go back to (ie disapear, whick loom etc?) so I can trace it back.

Cheers,
1985 JB Starion #157
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

RiceThief wrote:...the other is an all black wire that goes into a condensor i think they are called, its a metal thing about the size of a half a cig, black wire goes into it and a yellow wire comes out...
In your third pic that thing you are holding I think is a BALLAST RESISTOR :?
Definition: A resistor in the primary ignition circuit that lowers voltage after the engine is started to reduce wear on ignition components.

I hope someone can confirm this?
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Hi tomsun, that is a black/white wire but it goes to the postive side of the coil so i doubt its for your tacho, but that wire goes in behind the fuse box or there abouts, its abit too dark at the moment to see. If my car was working i would take out the wires one at a time to eliminate which one it is but unfortunately im having trouble with it at the moment.

RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Hey tomsum, do u still need to find out which wire is for the tacho.

SpidersWeb
postwhore!

wire

Post by SpidersWeb »

It goes in to the loom where the factory ignitor plug is. The wire is a thin white wire, with black stripe, however it has a huge thick light grey insulation through most of the loom. It only shows its head at the ECU and ignitor, otherwise its fat and light grey.

Hope that helps. I've been installing an alarm, so been playing with wires. I just installed a replacement wire from the coil negative to the ECU, goes sweet.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)