G63B vs. 4G63

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Glen GSR III
guess its me thats broke

G63B vs. 4G63

Post by Glen GSR III »

Hi everyone, I now own 2 starions (one G63B one 4G63) and I just want to know the overall difference in the motors; power, reliability, anything and everything about these motors. I am planning on hotting up one of these and need to know which is the better contender. thanks
82 GSR III starion (respray nearly complete!)
83 JA Starion...Daily Driver
01 KTM 520 trail bike (reason the staz isnt finished yet)
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

block

Post by Starion VR4 »

The G only engine is a 1st gen block, slightly thinner in casting, not as solid in bore area as 4GXX engines, I have heard they are originally 1800cc cordia blocks bored out but i can't conferm this.... :beer :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

The later model block has braces between the sets of main bearings, 1-2 and 4-5, but I'm not quite sure why.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

where is the engine number, how do I know which one I have??
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

The Cordia has it on a little rectangular area of the block on the upper balance shaft tunnel right next to the dipstick bracket, I'm fairly sure the Starion one should be in the same place. It should be on the drivers side of the engine under the exhaust manifold.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Starion 4G63 plate is below where the exhaust manifold would be if it had a head on it, probably covered by 6mm of grease. Well mine was there.

Mine says 4G63 on the block, because it is a 4G63, what changed in 1987 with the VR4 launch was that Mitsubishi started actually putting '4G63B' on the VIN plates instead of 'G63B'. So the DOHC motors got called the '4G63'. Of course it is a different casting, but still of the same design, the casting changed again with the release of the Evolution Lancer which meant the demise of our precious RWD mounting points :(

The cordia uses a 4G62, so of course the block is similar, its from the same engine series. The 4G63 is not a bored out 4G62. 4G64 is the same too but taller.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

of the two bocks i have here at home one is the 4g63 and the other is the g63b. The g63b came out of a cordia with the dash 2lt setup and has the mounting on the front for one of the side engine mounts. The 4g63 come out of a staz. Dont know if the g63b you guys have has the same mountings on the front
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Has someone changed the system co whenever someone puts in C O R D I A it changes it to cordial. Good work whoever did that.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

http://austarion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5538

Good to see people read the forums.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
evoJB
I like starions more

Post by evoJB »

the casting changed again with the release of the Evolution Lancer which meant the demise of our precious RWD mounting points Sad
What do you mean, I have a evo 3 4g63 and have the starion engine mounts bolted to the holes on the side of the block already there. only issue with mine is crank angle sensor and the firewall not having a happy marriage.
This one is a 310mm bellhousing is the wideblock different?
Starion Powered By EVO
220.5kw/atw
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I believe when he refer to RWD mounting points he's refering to the gearbox mounting points. Im pretty sure that the wideblock has a different bellhousing.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

Post by MrBtchy »

evoJB wrote:
the casting changed again with the release of the Evolution Lancer which meant the demise of our precious RWD mounting points Sad
What do you mean, I have a evo 3 4g63 and have the starion engine mounts bolted to the holes on the side of the block already there.
i was also under the impression thathat the evo didn't have anywhere to mount the engine mounts for RWD?? are you sure your block isn't out of an e39 vr4??
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

engine blocks

Post by OLD FART »

RWD engines are WIDE block Top bellhousing boltsr 130mmand bottom ones r 330 centers 4WD or Front WD r 110 and 310 centers
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
evoJB
I like starions more

Post by evoJB »

no it's an evo3 engine, same as my mate's evo3 in every way. APC say it's an evo as well. Starion engine mounts bolt to the engine, as does starion A/c. The gearbox is not starion, sigma for the moment, but have seen this box on a 300+hp sigma as well, loving queensland raceway. The gearbox from the sigma also mounts to the same point as the starion, same length and mounting for the crosmember.
Starion Powered By EVO
220.5kw/atw
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

i'm pretty sure the 4g63 up to evo 3 have the same mounting points as the vr4's. Pretty sure from what i've been told they rotated the engines 180 degree's in the evo4 onwards. The vr4 to evo3 and the staz all have the same mounting points for the rwd setup. This basically means that these engines will bolt into all of the rwd mitsubishi 4 cylinders that i can think of from the lancers, sigmas, galants and starions as they all use the sime mounting positions. The sigma 2 ltr box will bolt directly to these blocks aswell.