Oil Catch Can

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
woops
Big Dorifto

Oil Catch Can

Post by woops »

Hey guys what the go with installing an oil catch can onto a staz engine. Do you just plum it into the pipe at the back top of the rocker cover or the one at the front. Or do you put a T junction between them both and then to the catch can.
I know that the outlet for the catch can needs to be plumbed into the front of the turbo i just need to know exactly where everything needs to go.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

It will replace the existing catch can. So remove the hose from the top of the rocker cover, and remove the entire assembly that it is connected to. This will also have another hose coming off it that will run into the inlet. Just replace both hoses with the new catch can ;)
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Sorry i don't even have a standard catch can at the moment. And which part of the rocker cover do you mean. Is that the one at the back and where will the one at the front go when i have the L300 manifold.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I just bought an aftermarket oil catch can.

I have been told that I should connect the hose at the top of the rocker with a tee to the hose at the front of the rocker cover and bring the hose back to the can. The second connection on the catch can should be connected to the air box. (I dont have an air box, so the hose will connect to one end of the K&N air filter)
1985 JB Starion #157
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Hey man the Starion has a fantastic catch can/seperator setup from the factory complete with automatic oil drain back to the sump.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

mrb1, I agree, but from my pics you can see that I can't use the factory one.
But the aftermarket one should function very similar the the factory design.

1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Tomsun theres nothing stopping you from using your standard seperator in a different location, thats what i did, got a backet made up and put it in another location like this.

Also isnt the front hose on the rocker cover connected to a pcv which would need vacuum to open?
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

when I got upgrades, mine was taken off and never returned, so I have nothign :( Except a little oil breather on the rocker cover
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

RiceThief, neat solution.

I have been told that the breather filter on the oil separator is a defect. And that it needs to be plumbed back into the intake system. (ie Can't vent to atmosphere).
But I don't think you will have trouble with the cops, more the EPA IF you ever get pulled over by them...

The fitting at the front hose does have a ball and spring in it. So yes, I guess it would only open under vacuum. The front hose will just be for show.
:)
1985 JB Starion #157
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

I think the straight hose connecter that the PCV valve hose goes into on the throttle body has the same thread as the PCV valve so you can swap it over when your taking it out to block off the throttle body hole.
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

I think the straight hose connecter that the PCV valve hose goes into on the throttle body has the same thread as the PCV valve so you can swap it over when your taking it out to block off the throttle body hole.
I'm guessing that you ment inlet manifold and yeah i just checked and they do. Also any correct me if i'm wrong if you actually connect the outlet of the catch can to the pipe infront of the turbo inlet that would also create a vacuum.
Would it be best to remove the PCV valve to enable the case to always have flow or could this cause problems by stuff possibly going back into the case.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Tomsum - it is a defect if it vents into the atmo but after my turbo inlet hose broke i thought it would be better filtering it. If the internal of the pcv can be removed it would probably be a better option.

woops - There should be very little if any vacuum before the turbo and after the filter as this would mean your air filter/air box is a big restriction. You can remove pcv valve but this is also defectable. Also if you remove the pcv valve run the hose it straight into the air seperator/catch can and not into your manifold.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

just between u and me the one at the front of the cover(pcv valve) is a legal requirement and has no detrimental effect on performance (only operates under a vacuum condition in the inlet manifold ie light cruise on the highway) so if u do remove it would constitute a defect, just run the hose from the back of the cover to the catch can, the outlet from the catch can to the turbo inlet pipe, the drain at bottom of catch can to the original drain fitting on the sump. easy as and it works perfect, perfectly legal aswell.......
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

What removing the pcv valve is even illegal if you plum it into the catch can and the outlet of the catch can into the intake.
It'd all be going into the combustion chamber and not changing the emmisions. If anything it'd make the emissions better by not burning oil.
I thought defectivable offences are things which are dangerous mod's or increase any harmful emissions.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

defectable offences are anything dangerous and anything modified that no longer conforms 2 A.D.R. regulations that were current at the time of vehicle compliance(the date on compliance plate, not the build date on the build plate) and pcv valves are included in the adr`s (like charcoal/carbon canisters are and also catalytic converters after january 86) so yes removing the pcv valve is illegal same as removing the charcoal canister or a cat converter!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au