2.4ltr -Who makes pistons??

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
BLOFLY
I like starions

2.4ltr -Who makes pistons??

Post by BLOFLY »

I know wiseco makes forged pistons for around $1300, are there any other manufactures that make pistons for the 4g64??(2.4ltr)

Also I was told by coltspeed that the 64 crank could not be easily fitted into the 63 block as there is interference between the crank and block due to the extra throw. I thought the blocks were almost identical apart from the overall height. Is there anyone on the forum that has done this modification themselves and has the info?

Otherwise is there someone in Brisbane who has a bare 2ltr block for test fitment of a 2.4ltr crank?? cheeers :)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Firstly, have you got a RWD 4G64 Crankshaft 'cause the FWD one won't work :wink: LOL
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

You need to get your angle grinder out and take off some of the edging thats in the crank shafts rotating circumfrence, I think you will find this site helpful.. http://www.pinktemple.com/stroker.html

Here are the clearance issues:

These pictures are from a dohc engine so I can't say everything thing will be identical.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I am currently fitting a set of JE pistons and rings in to VR4 engine with a 4g64 crank.

I got them from Chris Meek at Meek Performance. Chris is very helpfull and his prices are more than fair. www.meek.com.au

ASH
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

I've got a std bore early L300 block with the 6 bolt crank which seems to be in fairly good order, as soon as I can source some pistons for a reasonable price I will start the rebuild. It seems the piston choices are fairly limited for the 63 let alone the 64 motor :( but hey, life goes on.
JAS
Enthusiast king

pistons???????????????

Post by JAS »

I was of the understanding that Starion/VR4 pistons would fit in a 4G64 block.
I thought that they were just a longer stroke with the same bore.

If they are different, the VR4 forged pistons I have are of no use :glare:

Bugger
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

VR4 pistons are 85.5mm aren't they?
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

64 pistons are 86.5mm bore with 100mm stroke. Block is 6mm higher too.
63 and 64 rods are the same.

If you want more variety/choice opf rods and pistons for 63, 64 or a combination of both engines, then do a search of some US workshops as they have developed these engines much more than over here (albeit in the narrow block format).
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

JE make the pistons for the stroker kit. designed for the 4g63 running with a 4g64 crank. the piston height is spot on! talk to Chris Meek at www.meek.com.au or get on the JE website

ASH
INP51
I like starions more

Post by INP51 »

CP make stroker pistons too ... better than JE and wiseco
Why drink n drive when u can drift n slide ?
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

But from cp's catalogue they don't make a piston to suit the 4g64 motor and their stroker range is a bit high on compression for what I want( ie 9.0).
I was considering stroking the 2.0 ltr to retain the original engine number to make getting it on the road easier for compliancing reasons, insurance etc. but have opted to rebuild the 2.4 so I can keep driving the staz until swap time.

I have settled on Wiseco as they have a local distributor here with the piston I need in stock, cost $900 incl. rings/pins/retainers, which ain't to bad.

Also what's the exact measurement between the two outside bolt holes on the starion block?(closest to sump) as I have nothing to double check that the block I have will bolt up ok come swap time. It measures around 333-334 with measuring tape hole center to center which seems right but if someone has a block or knows it would really help.
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

Bloyfly
Im doing the swap at the moment, as far as i can remember the blocks came in two sizes 31 and 33. 31 is the size most commonly found in the korean blocks As far as i can remeber the starion blocks are 33.
Theres a bloke who somtimes posts on here that is running a 4g64 in a track car that puts out around 350hp wih just a stock bottom end, bigger cam turbo intake ex manifold etc.
Do a search under 4g64 and you will find the bloke im talking about.
Cheers aND GOOD LUCK
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

INP51 wrote:CP make stroker pistons too ... better than JE and wiseco
How do you know that?

What do you think of Venolia's?

ASH
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

blocks

Post by Starion VR4 »

yes i have Staz blocks U can check it against, as for pistons.... All will B reveiled when U phone me...... :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
INP51
I like starions more

Post by INP51 »

Barney wrote:
INP51 wrote:CP make stroker pistons too ... better than JE and wiseco
How do you know that?

What do you think of Venolia's?

ASH

Ive heard bad things about venolia, mostly that they are a great piston for street use but the second you lean on them and get a tiny knock they dont like it at all, but in the same boat i have seen them make good horsepower. i guess its more in the tune aswell as the product. CP's arent anywhere as noisey as wiseco. JE's are just as good as CP but from what i have found most of the time the customer goes for CP possibly because they are marketed more heavily than JE.

CP's work well i have never heard anything bad about them so thats what i always use and recommend
Why drink n drive when u can drift n slide ?