mitsi turbos?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
honest_jim
Dorifto!

mitsi turbos?

Post by honest_jim »

could someone tell me what turbo i have on my starion (its a 87 intercooled 2.0L) i really dont understand the code mitsi use to identify their turbos...... Im looking for a new turbo that has to have less lag (this is more important then more power but if it does bot then that would be good).

Would one of these fit without too much bother??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubis ... enameZWD2V
Starion 2000 EX.. bosch fuel pump, sard dumpvalve, knN drilled air box, Haltech F5 + 2 injectors, turbosmart FCD + Dual stage boost controller, tublar turbo header, turbo back 2.5" stainless exhaust 4.5" tip, Innovate MS wideband A/F meter.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: mitsi turbos?

Post by mrb1 »

honest_jim wrote:could someone tell me what turbo i have on my starion (its a 87 intercooled 2.0L) i really dont understand the code mitsi use to identify their turbos...... Im looking for a new turbo that has to have less lag (this is more important then more power but if it does bot then that would be good).

This is exactly what I have done. EVO3 type turbo install.
http://austarion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4922

The EVO3 turbo is fantastic. Check out "EVOIII turbo install" on http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au
There are a few things you have to change around. Also no way the factory computer would cope with it.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

NB: 'EVO3 GT' is the Made in China rip off of the MHI TD05-16G 070 (as used on the Evolution 3 Lancer), that is NOT a Mitsubishi turbocharger in that auction, its a fake, and a poorly made one. While apparently they have made improvements to the 'fall off your manifold' turbo, I still wouldn't touch it after seeing the low quality control levels.

Do not be fooled by cheap prices. Avoid:

- SSAutoChrome
- XSPower
- MasterPower
- EVO3 GT
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

SpidersWeb wrote:NB: 'EVO3 GT' is the Made in China rip off of the MHI TD05-16G 070 (as used on the Evolution 3 Lancer), that is NOT a Mitsubishi turbocharger in that auction, its a fake, and a poorly made one. While apparently they have made improvements to the 'fall off your manifold' turbo, I still wouldn't touch it after seeing the low quality control levels.

Do not be fooled by cheap prices. Avoid:

- SSAutoChrome
- XSPower
- MasterPower
- EVO3 GT
Actually it's interesting that particular turbo is not made in China. There is a copy sold by ssautochrome which is and is no good. The EVO3 GT is ok by all accounts. I have spoken to suppliers in the US and they have sold hundreds with no returns. They are not cheap anyway same price as MHI EVO3 on www.turbochargers.com web site. Same old story it costs money to do it properly no matter who makes it.
Do you honestly think that turbochargers.com one of the biggest Mitsubishi turbo distributors in the US would sell something that was crap :roll: They got that turbo made because Mitsubishi would not build custom stuff for them. It actually exceeds all MHI specs it's actually a better turbo than genuine!
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah that was the one item in that list that I hadnt talked to turbo experts about, and I was basing it on that SlowBoy Racing article. I see turbochargers.com is claiming it as fake, and from browsing around I see more positive things being said (by people who bought it) than negative. So I'll agree with you and just shuttup :)

But honestly I am still a little bit suspicious, no brand name and the turbo itself was named in a way that would create confusion to increase sales - even a fake MHI product code! It just smells fishy to me.

But at the end of the day, like you said 'no returns' and from the many posts I was just searching through, pretty much everyone with the EVO3 GT seemed quite happy. So with that said, it must actually be a good turbo. The turbochargers.com defense clearly shows that its a good turbo as well (which wasnt available when I first saw the SBR article).

SlowBoy Racing Page: http://www.slowboyracing.com/evo3vsgt.htm
Turbochargers.com Defense: http://www.turbochargers.com/Evo3GT.htm

My apologies honest_jim - you can just ignore my original post :oops:
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

To clear up some of the confusion, the reason why SlowBoy Racing is spreading rumours about the 'Evo GT' Turbo and why Forced Performance is also not selling them, is because both SlowBoy and FP have bad blood between themselves and TurboChargers.com which is the reason why the manufacturer of the Evo GT Turbo, (i.e. TurboChargers.com) is not selling the Evo GT Turbo's wholesale to SlowBoy and FP :wink:

mrb1, what is the % Nickel content in the genuine MHI Evo III Turbos' Exhaust Housing ?
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Hey and another very interesting thing is I found out the owner of slowboy used to work at turbochargers.com!
Put's an interesting twist on it :wink:
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

toysrus wrote:To clear up some of the confusion, the reason why SlowBoy Racing is spreading rumours about the 'Evo GT' Turbo and why Forced Performance is also not selling them, is because both SlowBoy and FP have bad blood between themselves and TurboChargers.com which is the reason why the manufacturer of the Evo GT Turbo, (i.e. TurboChargers.com) is not selling the Evo GT Turbo's wholesale to SlowBoy and FP :wink:
That's right there's usually a bit more below the surface when you start to look into this sort of thing.
mrb1, what is the % Nickel content in the genuine MHI Evo III Turbos' Exhaust Housing ?
Not sure?
Bangbus
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Bangbus »

But if he wants less lag......... maybe a highflowed td04? td04/05 or something?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Bangbus wrote:But if he wants less lag......... maybe a highflowed td04? td04/05 or something?
The EVO3 turbo gives awesome spool. It just transforms the car.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

I can confirm this awesome spool. Went for a spin in marks car on the weekend, that thing is a beast
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/