TCO5 versus TDO6

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

the 06 can be tricky to setup. Are you using a header or stock exhaust manifold? The us 2.6 love td06 wheels, even in 16 and 18Gs. The garret 60-1 wheel is notoriously 'laggy' on 4cylinders, yet the 2.6 has no prob with 'em. vr4 has excellent street performing 20Gs using 06 or clipped 05 wheels.... very popular in the us.
Evo III 16g is fast becoming the 'favorite' midrange turbo. At $550usd shipped, its virtually unbeatable. Has taken daily driven 3400+ pound, stock 2.0L (vr4 motor, 2nd gen) DSM to 12.2s. Excellent spoolup and has maintained 26psi to redline on one car. Should be an excellent turbo for the 2.0 sohc. A common approach is to do your supporting mods, max out your turbo until it becomes your 'bottleneck', then upgrade it.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

jesus - are you serious? how come the TD05 is more popular if the fast boosting TC is capable of that? 25psi I would expect detonation, and on a 20 year old turbo, a molten wheel.

Not saying you're wrong, just never heard of that before. *puzzled*
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

evogalant, get a Evo III 16g now! hehe, if not, grab daz's td06 :P

daz when can i try my hybrid on 25psi in your car? wonder how that'd go
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

btw the EVO3 turbo is known in NZ as the big-16G and is found on:

Lancer Evolution II (so I was told on nzmmc today)
Lancer Evolution III
And it was a factory option for the Galant VR4 RS (Galant EVO0) (so only some came out of the factory with it, depends if the original purchaser ticked the box or not).
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: Tco5

Post by Cookiemonster »

Jesusdroveastarion wrote:I am running 25 psi on my Tc05 standard JD turbo with no problems. I t generates this psi no worries at all.
A TC-05 on 25psi would be waaay out of it's efficiency range. Yes it can create the boost but for not much power gain. Even a TC-06 on 20psi is out of it's efficiency range too.

There is no way I can run a TC-05 on my engine. At 4500rpm it just goes flat.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

very true Cookie, 18psi is the max for tc's befor they go off curve
Ford G6ET 458wkws
davidbek95
I've been here before

i agree with jesus

Post by davidbek95 »

I would rather the rush,if u like the 05 leave it on,your choice. :D
regards david
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

No worries

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

I dont understand why the TC05 would cause detonation. Not an issue with my car as it is intercooled and has water/methanol injection. As for the molten wheel at 25psi why is this any different to say a Tc06. Not saying I dont believe you just asking why the heck would it melt ?
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

re:

Post by SIRIUS »

*jesus....
recently i have put a intercooler on my car....it was suppose to be smaller but, he had a bigger core in the shed an it fit so i put it on...it is prob to big for the turbo i got on..its a tco5/tco6....i was thinkin of going tdo5 or tdo6....im more after speed, horsepower an getting pinned back in the seat...what do u think...should i go with the tdo5 or 6
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Darryl (I'd rather not call you Jesus ;)),

Running over 20psi on the TC05 will cause the turbo to extend beyond it's efficiency range as Cookie mentioned. This means that the turbo is creating more boost (air density) but is not creating an increased amount flow per psi above its maximum efficiency. This will cause additional heat and decreasing amounts of additonal power (per extra psi above max efficiency).

In other words, it is boosting an extra 5-7psi, but is making less additional power above its maximum efficiency psi whilst adding more heat.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Given that running the tc05 at 25 psi would be out of its effiency range wouldnt isnt there a chance that by running less boost and moving it back to its effiency range the engine will actually make more power? As less heat = more power?

Darryl have you considered the td05, i believe it would be the best of both worlds, fast spool times like the tc05 and good power potential like the tc06.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Ok

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

Thanks guys all for that info. Very useful. I will in fact wind it back to around 18 psi and see how that goes. Charlie call Windsor Truck Bits in Mileham st and see if your clamps are in. I keep forgetting to call them. They must be in by now.
As for the question about which turbo to use. I am afraid I am probably the least qualified here to answer any questions on that topic but from what Ihave learnt the 6 is good all through the rev range and makes good power all the way through. The smaller 5 however gives a much faster spool time but of course runs out of steam ( though I havent noticed much ) up in the rev range. When I had Ron build the engine that was my brief to him. I like quick response out of the hole. This thing will go sideways on boost only around a corner in second if your not careful. I would HATE to drive this thing in the wet :o
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

No, i think you'd rather enjoy it.

I mean I'D rather enjoy it. Keys Please?
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

evo3 turbo

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Any idea if the evo 3 turbo has the same manifold connections as the standard 6's and 5's? Also, can you buy the turbo direct from MMC themselves?

Woody
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

It should bolt on. I wouldn't bother calling Mitsu Australia. There are plenty of places in the US that sell them for around $550US which will be about $1K AUD shipped.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T