Intake manifolds: Sonata v L300

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.

Sonata
61%
L300
39%

Total votes: 23

NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Which manifold is better?

Please keep posts technical and share your experiences and reasons.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Well this is an interesting thread. I havnt used either as I have chosen to design and build my own, but of those two, I prefer the L300's center inlet plenum due to its even cylinder filling and front mounted thermostat.

In my view, sonata if you want a simple install, modern look
L300 if you want to chop one down, bigger plenum
Full custom, if you wanna get serious :D
Ford G6ET 458wkws
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Sonata.. can fit larger throttle body.. intercooler pipes are shorter and don't go over the engine.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

better manifold

Post by WANTSOM »

dunno :o
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Manifold Type

Post by Darkelf »

Sonata. The cooler pipes are shorter and don't go over the engine so there is no reheat of cool air and consequently no need to wrap pipes.

Interestingly enough was advised by DASH Motor Sports in Narrabeen to go the Sonata route as they felt this would give more power. (Shorter route, less reheat etc etc) Whether this is the case or not is unknown.

Only prob with the Sonata is the issue with the battery.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

anyone know what dia' the runners are on both types? and is there a difference in lengh? they look sooo long
Ford G6ET 458wkws
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Kim,

Post by WANTSOM »

why does the Sonata manifold need a battery? :D

also, curious as to what sort of work DASH M/Sdo? (thinking Dash motors, track car etc etc)

Cheers
Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

The change of battery on a Sonata manifold conversion will depend on which way you route your intercooler piping. If you go either side of the radiator, then you can squeeze the piping through between the radiator and the battery. Otherwise, if you decide to go under the headlight, then a smaller battery or battery relocation needs to be used/done.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Would also partly depend whether you already have a cooler or not. If I did it for example I would go L300 cos pipework is already there to suit.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Greg, your best bet might be to put a 8v head on it, then go whatever mpi route you choose.

I think MPI could be very tricky with the extra ports on the dash head, unless you used the flange and runners off the... nah, stupid idea. get an 8v head
Ford G6ET 458wkws
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

The sonata manifold can be used while still using the standard battery tray. I will take pics of my setup as soon as i get a decent digicam.
What i dislike about the sonata manifold is that stupid middle nut that joins the runners to the plenum.. Cant get the fker out

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

StarionChef wrote:anyone know what dia' the runners are on both types? and is there a difference in lengh? they look sooo long
Cookiemonster wrote:Sonata.. can fit larger throttle body.. intercooler pipes are shorter and don't go over the engine.
So any tech info or just words :D
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

no offence mate, but its not words, its experience. A forward facing t/b was the main factor in my choice between the two.

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I chose the L300 because I was planning on making up a custom plenum anyway so the forward-facing t/b would be done then. I didn't like having the thermo at the rear of the engine either. Therefore I chose th L300. I also think that the Sonata plenum is too small.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Has anyone compared/knows what the difference in terms of runners diameter and length ? ....because the L300 was setup for about 85+kw > 97 or so where as the Sonata was 77kw but then again it could just be the plenum size difference between the both ?