Fuel Usage - Kms per litre

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Fuel Usage - Kms per litre

Post by glutonous gloop »

I was interested to know what fuel usage some oy you guys are getting out of your Starion, preferably city use.

This is prompted by "Big Moz's" quote last week
i usualy use ultimate but due to my car chewing throught the gas at a fast rate (320km per full 75l tank) due to it needing a tune, i have chosen to use what ever i can put in it that makes it go so that would be 91 octain shitty fuel that still gets me 320km per tank

I seem to be averaging ~7km per litre with Optimax which to me seems a bit on the high side. Not sure if running in a rebuilt engine has any baring on this figure but I couldn't recall it being as low before - maybe I'm just noticing it more with the high fuel costs at present.
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

hey gloopy,
yes that does sound high, with my car (for bad city driving I got around 8km/l) but this is on LPG, so it uses about 20% more fuel than petrol. So maybe alter your driving style and/or get it tuned.

thats my 2 cents.

Dave
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

65 (ish) litres, 450 (ish) kms. 98 octane. Occasional fang from the lights, wet corner etc. Someone else can do the maths.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

i get around 11.5l/100km's combined city/hwy driving. That's with mpi, rich tune, 10psi. That's 8.7km to the litre, running optimax. Gentle driving though. If i'm fanging about it can get to 13L/100km, again this is exaggerated by the rich street tune.
glutonous gloop
I like starions

interesting.
65 (ish) litres, 450 (ish) kms. 98 octane. Occasional fang from the lights, wet corner etc. Someone else can do the maths
Al, that converts out to the ~7km per litre that I'm getting. Maybe it's something to do with our age or Eastern suburbs traffic. At $1.20 per litre I'd be far happier getting Chris's 11kms per litre (whoops that was 8 & a bit Kms per litre).

My car setup would be closer to Chris's with MPI so I might need to look into why it's only giving me around 7kms; I'm only running standard boost at the moment.

Hey Chris, come to think of it, you work at Shell so you probably get the the undiluted version :D
Last edited by glutonous gloop on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Rohan, if you're running your engine in, does that mean you're not going over 3-4000rpm? In that case, 7km/L is very high.. (I'm getting 11L/100km, not 11km-litre :) I'm actually just under 9km/L ). Do you do much sitting in traffic?
Just looking over my records (I record every fill, and put notes as to what kind of driving i've been doing - country, city or rally :twisted: ), in city driving with heavy traffic, no hwy involved, i get around 12.5L/100km - which is 8km/L, so not too much different to yours. For those low figures that i get, it's very pussyfooting around, i'll only reach full boost a few times in those 600km per tank.
I've just put a stock intercooler setup on mine now, so i'll let you know how that changes things (my economy will go way down now, coz i keep flooring the car )
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Chris

You're spot on, at present I'm not going any higher than 4000rpm. I suppose there's a bit of sitting in traffic but not much. Mainly just commuting b/w Ringwood & Burwood during work hours but as you know the traffic out here isn't too busy - well not like the south eastern car park during peak hour anyway.

At ~7.3 km per litre I think it's running on the rich side particularly as you quite rightly indicated how I'm currently rev limited to 4000rpm.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I get between 8.5-9.5 km's per litre
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

You'd be amazed at how much more fuel you use by taking off from lights (even with small throttle openings)

The other car will do 10~11's at 115km/hr but around town in light traffic it's lucky to get 13~14's (worse when the wife drives :twisted: )

I doubt when you get it tuned etc after running in that your figures will improve greatly. Maybe 5% or so???
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

glutonous gloop wrote: At $1.20 per litre I'd be far happier getting Chris's 11kms per litre (
id just be happy with$1.20 a litre....

im paying $1.49.9 for 96...

in my diamante it cost me $103 :shock: to fill it up, and that was a fortnight ago when it was $1.43.9 :x
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

glutonous gloop wrote:Chris

You're spot on, at present I'm not going any higher than 4000rpm. I suppose there's a bit of sitting in traffic but not much. Mainly just commuting b/w Ringwood & Burwood during work hours but as you know the traffic out here isn't too busy - well not like the south eastern car park during peak hour anyway.

At ~7.3 km per litre I think it's running on the rich side particularly as you quite rightly indicated how I'm currently rev limited to 4000rpm.
Hmm, I don't really know about tunes and freshly built engines (yet..). Have you asked maztec about it?
Maybe they've just tuned it to be safely rich until the engine is run in and they can give it a proper tune.

I put 85 bucks in today for 65L of optimax :( . Only got 535km out of that tank, got carried away with my cooler
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

As Al said, I've noticed that doing long stretch runs in 80-100 zones seems to be on/under par with city driving
glutonous gloop
I like starions

actually from what I'm hearing my figure isn't as bad as I thought, well my body on the other hand is another sad story.

i had in my head that i should've been getting better than 10km per litre which doesn't sound that common with these things once specced up a bit.

I'll wait until the engine's run in (about another 1000k) and take it back to Maztec for a final tune and raise it with them then to see if it can be improved at all. As Al said it's probably only going to be a marginal gain.

If 1.49 per litre is converted out to AUD from NZD then that's a scream.
I'd be putting the fam. on a moped at those $$$
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

...try 1.55 man, it's going nuts over here, govt makes 60 cents per litre.

Were currently having elections at the moment, if one of the parties put out a policy to lower gas prices they'd get my vote for sure
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:...try 1.55 man, it's going nuts over here, govt makes 60 cents per litre.
is that for 98 dude? we dont have that here in nelson yet....