Starion + hks 2835r

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

cams, ignition timing,intake,exhaust,stock plugs/leads, heaps of things and make sure both are flywheel measurements or both at the wheels measurements

Because 103kW at the flywheel, is roughly going to produce 75kW at the wheels.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

But if I use a different cylinder head then the above things won't matter in relation to using the nimbus or sonata would it ?

How about the durability/strength should I get the nimbus and keep stock or Sonata and have that strenghtened ??
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

The purchase cost of the bottom end is not as important as what you do to the bottom end. I'm not sure which is the better model as Starions would use the wider commercial vehicle 2.4L blocks.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

pcuser51,

I know that the g-tech can be accurate at times, however, I was merely illustrating the fact that the 11.7 (which was more than likely done the street with street tyres and involved a FWD car) is very, very unlikely.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

tis for a cordia..
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

sorry to just push in here, but I am getting good at that :D
haven’t read this post be4... dunno why, just had a look and u reckon the vr4 can handle 25psi, I had heard 20psi be4 but I don’t want to dispute the 5psi, but what do these things rev too? I would not mind getting one if they can rev high. :D
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Ok

Post by Abalistic »

Ok, OK, OK....
If the same amount of money went into engine rebuild , for a SOHC and a DOHC, I think the DOHC will be in front.
So where is the power coming from?....
They both have the same bore and stroke.
When the piston goes down for its induction stroke, an "X" amount of inlet valves will open at a certain time.
SOHC valve engines have a certain inlet cross sectional area.
DOHC valve engines have a certain inlet total cross sectional area, is this a larger cross sectional area? Does anyone know the numbers?
As far as the piston is concerned, it knows nothing outside of the cylinder,
it does not know if it is twin cam or single cam.

A.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

the head

Post by NXTIME »

Just take a quick poll to see the maximum power made out of each engine and the twin cam will be way ahead. Why? The head is the difference. It is superior in evry way..port sizes, valve cross secional area and flow. Anyone compared the port sizes of a SOHC vs a DOHC?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
pcuser51
I like starions

Post by pcuser51 »

:P You would think that the DOHC would be better in the power steaks
other wise the manafacture would not go to all that trouble,because they
wouldnt because it would cost them money,and that is the bottom line.

I didnt explain that very well but i hope you get the gist of it :D
CHEERS ALAN
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

hi scum,
the vr4 engine can handle 25 psi though i wouldn't recommend it for daily use. With a 264 set of cams you can make power gains to about 7500 or slightly above without losing streetability, however only run this boost if it's still efficient with your turbo (ie 400hp turbo and above)

The only reason i've seen it run 25 is for drag use and on the dyno (and if you just have to embarass a gtr) however the car i mention did use 20 psi day in day out for 2 yrs and had shitty compression and a heap of kays (120 psi on all four cylinders ). basically 20 psi (it'd be a good idea to get a nice head gasket) can run day in day out on these things they're pretty robust.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Re: Ok

Post by toysrus »

Abalistic wrote:Ok, OK, OK....
If the same amount of money went into engine rebuild , for a SOHC and a DOHC, I think the DOHC will be in front.
So where is the power coming from?....
They both have the same bore and stroke.
When the piston goes down for its induction stroke, an "X" amount of inlet valves will open at a certain time.
SOHC valve engines have a certain inlet cross sectional area.
DOHC valve engines have a certain inlet total cross sectional area, is this a larger cross sectional area? Does anyone know the numbers?
As far as the piston is concerned, it knows nothing outside of the cylinder,
it does not know if it is twin cam or single cam.

A.
Double the money on camshafts and valves, plus extra headwork over SOHC, therefore for same amount of money there will be completely diffferent levels of performance on both engines, eg money saved from one less camshaft > spend on different turbo, lsd, fmic or water injection etc.....
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

or 2.4L rofl
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

But the DOHC head flows more than the SOHC. The amount of work and money spent on the SOHC to get it near the DOHC head's flow will more than negate the cost differences as the DOHC won't have to have any porting or valves done. (Assuming that you are comparing similar power levels and total costs - such as say a 10K budget)

The 2.4L would be good for a rwd car, but I hope you have plenty of arm muscles if you drive a FWD :D I think it would be a waste going to a 2.4L in a FWD.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Torque = Acceleration KW = Top speed ......both are indirectly related to each other but for example

If 2 'Factory' engines produce 300Nm of torque, the SOHC will do it at 3500rpm where the DOHC will do it at 4000rpm

Here, 8v SOHC 160Nm @ 4500rpm but even more importantly ratio 9.00:1

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/ ... ?car=10153

And here 16v DOHC same year/model, 172Nm @ 5000rpm but with a Compression ratio of 9.80:1

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/ ... ?car=26884

So 172 divided by 10 x 9.5 = 163.4 assuming linearly proportioned (rpm/torque) but remove the extra .8 of compression and it'ld be around 150-155Nm and this is assuming the camshafts int/exh are EXACTLY the same.

But the main argument is the cost in developing both engines puts the SOHC infront of DOHC with the budgets of most of the users here !

If anyone wants to argue they better have the facts not just words :beer
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Torque comes from flow, not the biggest head possible and if you don't use the head flow to max then you lose torque :x