Car Batteries

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Car Batteries

Post by decoy »

ok, i've learnt a little bit but still know fcuk all. i know theres a difference in plates, cranking amps, and also dry cells out there but i don't know any advantages besides can mount almost any angle, and don't know the disadvantages.

Also needs to be physically smaller then the original due to my cooler pipe setup, but im also running stereo so don't want to have it less powerful. Is there anything that can handle only being used on weekends etc?
_

Post by SpidersWeb »

Unless you have a pretty serious audio setup (big amps etc) it probably will be ok, alternator can feed it.

The cca is what to look for really. And if your car starts first turn of the key anyway, you could probably get away with the smallest you can find. I pulled a very tiny one out of my first Starion, would of been about 1/2 the size of the battery holder plate thing, that used to work fine but I left it flat for too long. Think that was around 300cca?

Installing a nice big one in the boot is the alternative that most people choose. I plan on this, as the 550cca big battery I just got barely fits in to the plate at all, and I can't secure it other than by wedging it in.

Don't know if that helped at all.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

just a modest stereo, one amp. boot is a posibility, will clean up the bay a bit... can just just my amp cable to send the power to everything connect to the original position? then a new one for the amp...

eh, too much effort, then there's legalities, and its not as if we have much room back there anyway :S
_

Post by SpidersWeb »

If you go for the boot, Ive been told 4 gauge at a minimum, bigger the better. But yeah Im not sure what the legalities in Aus are, and yeah I forgot you guys dont have space savers either :S

Here its ok as long as its in a seperate compartment and secured (e.g. box with lid + secured inside the box itself + box secured to floor).
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

550cca! Mynes only 460cca
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Bosch Gold :naughty

but its doesn't really fit very well, and I had to use a hammer to get my new solid brass connector on the positive terminal, but it wont suffer from flat batteries anymore, I hope.

deeks - maybe a very small deep cycle battery. Doesnt hold much, but can deliver a good current and recharge fast. They use them on boats etc I think.

This might also be of use to you:
http://www.exide.co.nz/products/specifications.php
http://www.exide.co.nz/products/orbital.php
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

550 is what I have in the V8. You don't need that big for a staz. 400 would be ample (unless the car takes 5 minutes of cranking every morning.)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah its major overkill, but its great, never have to worry about it going flat now :) ever.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

1200cca solid state ones (found buried under council solar powered light posts for some reason, maybe they need the artificial light to grow? I wanted to grow some at home but no one had the seeds.) anyway, these make a great starter when you make a little trolley for the heavy sucker and some bloody huge leads / clamps. stazz cranks around 900rpm and smells like burnt starter. i like that battery :D
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Yates have those battery seeds, require a 0 ph soil though.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:Yates have those battery seeds, require a 0 ph soil though.
0ph soil :shock:
that'd melt through titanium! and kill superman too.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Me thinks he means neutral pH, ie 7. A pH of 0 is unpossible.
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:550cca! Mynes only 460cca
I got 750!
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I've got a Optima Red-top 720CCA :P

I betcha Gadget is running one of those bling/over priced/yesterdays technology Odessey batteries :D
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Hell NO Fark paying the $$$$$$$$ and $$$$$$$$ for one of those things! The only advantage is that they are fully sealed and aern't supposed to leak.

K-MART brand baby!

I think it is 750cca Well to cold outside now to check, but I think the old car had one.

I need it coz of the "gadgets" inside and car usually runs only on weekends. lately getting a lot more.
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?