Can I re-route coolant lines ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Can I re-route coolant lines ?

Post by toysrus »

Okay, as you can see here, I wish to eliminate the coolant running though the Inlet manifold which is supposed to aid in the evaporation/atomization of Fuel and am compensating for this by just running the turbo right off the map named efficiency :P - way out in fairy land :D

I have two options......a) thread the hole in the Head and block it off and then fit a T-piece adaptor where the coolant line from the Turbo returns to into the bottom of the thermostat housing, and then redirect the hose into that.......or b) cut the section out of the manifold where the coolant lines runs through (for space), thread/tap the head and then put a fitting in the head and redirect the hose which is supoose to connect up to the side of the manifold, directly into the head to continue on it's merry way.....

I'm assuming the coolant still runs thru the head/block effectively enough thru the thermostat housing area on its own, if I fit the t-piece up but if no one knows for sure (i.e. all the coolant cavities/tunnels through the head/block), then I'll take option 'B' to be on the safe side.....

So anyone know for sure ?

/And before anyone goes saying, there will be a 15-20mm 300+degree Ceramic/PTFE based insulator between the Inlet and the Head with the thermostat Housing and Distributor base dismembered from the Inlet manifold itself aswell :P
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

38 views and nothing........ :x
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

You 100% that is for coolant?

Your car sticker said it had EGR, and there is normally an extra hole for the EGR to feed exhaust back in to the intake. Im not 100% with that guess, just saying double check that it is not for the EGR.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

The EGR Inlet is that pipe sticking up above the second port from the LHS :wink:
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Ahhh gotya :)

Sweet as then :D Sorry I cant help with your question though
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Atleast you tried, which is more than what I can say for the others......you know who you are :P
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

60+ views n squat......... :x :( :cry: :crying
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Just had a look at my DASH engine and the pipe above the second port is the vac source for the brake booster. I'm 99% sure the port circled in red in your picutre is the EGR inlet port, it even has black soot in it. Compare it to the coolant passage on the far left which is brown. If this wasn't the EGR input port then where else would that be?

Have a look at this pic to see what I mean
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

it is the egr port, no doubt about it. it goes to the little egr vac thing on the side of the collector then up and through little ports all the way round the inlet. the head side goes through the head in a not-so-straight kinda fashion then pops out about 30mm inside exhaust port 4. hope this is useless. nap time
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

hold on, whats that manifold off? long time since I looked at a std 4g manifold but that’s not normal. is it?

Warranty void if stupid.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

It's the DASH manifold, 8 intake valves.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Well 'stamp me stupid' but yes it's the damned EGR bs......

Just ran some water in through the hole and out it came through the t/b area.

Any benefits/disadvantages to blocking this off apart from 'Pollution' ?
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

oi mods, will stamp me stupid and 500HP DASH wannabe!! fit? or can it be only one line? if so, sorry toys, you might have to change the comment thing at the bottom of your posts. if you where in perth i would gladly come and stamp your forehead. it took me about 5 hours to clean that friggin egr line in my old manifold. fixed the idle issue for some reason but it just blocked up again, so i just left it.

Warranty void if stupid.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I will protest till the cows come home, if my tag gets changed :D

...anyone else with their thoughts on Mitsubishis' EGR system ?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

woohoo I guessed good