Knocksensor broke?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
hollandgalant
[P] Plater austaz

Knocksensor broke?

Post by hollandgalant »

Can anyone tell me what happens if the knocksensor brakes down or is disconected. will the engine spark control work well or will it work on emergency mode? or can it effect the coil/negative signal?

4g63 8 valve 1983 turbo engine.

Kind regards,

johan
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Knock senser

Post by Starion VR4 »

If your sensor is stuffed, it will not retard the timing when it does detonate, it doesn't have a safe or limp home mode, when it sensers detonation the control unit delays the firing of the ignition by 15ms? about 8deg. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: Knock senser

Post by mrb1 »

Starion VR4 wrote:If your sensor is stuffed, it will not retard the timing when it does detonate, it doesn't have a safe or limp home mode, when it sensers detonation the control unit delays the firing of the ignition by 15ms? about 8deg. :beer
Well I'm not sure what it will do however 15mS is 540 degree at 6000 RPM so I don't think it will retard that much but yes I think 8 degrees.

But I think yes it will just not retard at all. It's the ignitor module that decides this the knock sensor wiring goes directly to the ignitor not to the ECU.
Last edited by mrb1 on Tue May 03, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

knock sensor, is this a bolt like part which goes into the side of the block and has a single wire coming out of it??

If not what is the part I just described?
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Starion_Turbo wrote:knock sensor, is this a bolt like part which goes into the side of the block and has a single wire coming out of it??
Thats the one.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Well im in the shit then :(

When I replaced the head gasket months ago I didn't see that sensor connected and the wire was pulled completly out of the device :( I pushed it back in then used silicon (no garentee that its connecting) and resolved to get another one off a wrecked Starion at lonsdale (hour -> hour and half) drive away)
went there last week and the whole block had been taken :roll: so im still running on a questionable "knock sensor" BTW its a daily driver

What symptoms should I be experiencing?? (dont tell me about timing etc plz) I have noticed one in particular which happens rarley but would like some info to confirm.

were can I get another one?? ie: is there a replacment part still available?
dosnt sound like the kind of thing a wrecker would part with unless I bought the whole engine.

Cheers
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

you can test it. there is a test sheet somewhere, I'll look for it..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

yeah, that'd be great thanx
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

it's there somewhere, the second page has an easy test, just unplug it , you'll need a timing light though..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

not a problem I have a timing light so were in business :)

thanx for the info will check it out in next few days

Cheers