If you have a rattle in your exhaust

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

If you have a rattle in your exhaust

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

Coming home from Rons the other day I was giving it some to try out my new cam....lovely, and the wastegate actuator arm came off. I was able to re connect it on the car at home as it has an allen key lock on it. It has developed a terrible rattle in the exhaust. My past experience with this type of noise led me to the wastegate again. Last time the arm was rattling on decelleration against a metal coolant pipe. It sounded like it was coming from the whole exhaust. Anyway determined to find this annoying noise I ripped off my turbo and yes found that the wastegate was loose. The little flap inside was loose and not sealing well against the hole. On closer inspection I also discovered a crak in my turbo housing which looks like it allows boost to escape into the exhaust pipe. I have replaced my turbo with my original TC05 and will see how it goes with the new cam. I LOVE the way the smaller turbo boosts so quickly and if the cam helps it above 4000 as it did before then this could be awesome. Anyway the reason for my post was just to let you guys know if you have a rattle you cant find...........CHECK YOUR WASTEGATE !!! It is more than likely caused by that.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Daz. i reckon the TC-05 will be strangling itself before you feel any benefits from the cam. But let us know how it goes.. all info is good info.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

yeah, I wouldnt bother with the little fella, just get the crack fixed. ( if possible)
you cant beat the kick from a larger turbo, no matter what the cam.
Ford G6ET 458wkws
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Heck yeah! :D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

Unfortunatly the crack is not fixable however in saying that it is also not terminal at the moment. I would just like to try the 5 and see how it reacts with the cam. As cookie said all info is good info. I will let you know soon. Got it running tonight and the noise was definatly the wastegate.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

so you found my rattle

Post by WANTSOM »

Daz, can you send that rattle back, it actually belongs to a mate of mines 12 month old baby.

Also, looking for a dummy that was spat out this weekend. Its not in your car too is it. (note correct spelling and grammar used in this sentence)

Man, I'm having some fun with the Dazter this week.

:beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

was there a dummy spit?
Ford G6ET 458wkws
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

No, but I believe there was spit on the dummy... not that I condone spitting on Wantsom.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

by golly

Post by WANTSOM »

No dummy spitting - too hot.

LOL at Cookie.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

crazy poeple!
Ford G6ET 458wkws
pcuser51
I like starions

Post by pcuser51 »

rofl You dont have to be "CRAZY" to be a member here but it helps! rofl
CHEERS ALAN