Turbo Whine

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Turbo Whine

Post by SpidersWeb »

Im going to get it rebuilt, because I dont like the noise, but Im just curious as to what it actually is.

When the turbo spins up, it makes this loud brrrRRRRRRRRRRRR noise. It gets louder and the pitch changes the faster it spins. When I take my foot off the gas you can hear the turbo spinning down (gets quieter and pitch lowers).

Its definately the turbo, no doubt about it.

But whats actually going on inside the thing?

My first thought is a worn bearing/blade making it unbalanced??
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

A cracked exhaust manifold will also cause this sound.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Wouldn't a cracked exhaust manifold would change pitch/volume as soon as the throttle was released, or if the engine rpm dropped?

It takes a while for this noise to disappear, about 5 seconds 'BRRrrrrrrrr r r'. Kind of like a circular saw how you hear it spin up, run and then spin down - just not so loud and a slightly lower pitch. Its very steady and smooth.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Definately sounds like a bearing or misalignment or unbalanced blades. I had a cracked exhaust manifold and it only made noise when i was backing off throttle and it only made a very distinct exhaust sound.
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

Out of balance or maybe something scraping?
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

sounds like something is in the way of the airflow of the compressor or turbine, I had a noise like that in one of my amps at home, it turned out to be a wire had found its way in front of the fan blades, not touching but close enough to make a bfrrrrr noise as it wound up and down. there could be crap in front of the compressor, or the turbine....
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ