Can anyone identify this sigma

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Can anyone identify this sigma

Post by Junkers »

I didn't think they made this style of sigma in 83 and it isnt nz new either :?

is the rego correct? just bought it as a work hack so not to fussed but curious none the less.
Also how hard is it to change the gasket/d-seal(is it really neccesary to buy a $200 dollar torque wrench?) it's got the dredded oil leak my old starion had, oil all over the rear of the engine
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

In Ozzie land it's called a Magna.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Aren't mitsubishi wonderful... thankfully they didn't call the starion a cordia in any other countries :wtf:
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Repco sell crappy torque wrenchs for $60. Its better than the guesstimate method. They aren't 100% accurate tho. But they will do the job.

I spent the extra few and got a proper one where you actually set the torque. I haven't used the new toy yet, but its great having tools there when something does go wrong. I think of it more as an investment.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

yea i was STRONGLY advised against them as my mate had to buy one for work as they needed it desperatley, bought on from k-mart for $90, thing is the rod inside snaps without you knowing and you loose all accuracy.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

1985 - TM Magna:

through to 1989 -TN Magna:
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

itl just be the first of that shape, my old gsr-x was the same shape and it was a '84.
oz, here i come....
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Cookiemonster wrote:In Ozzie land it's called a Magna.
Well that's not quite right. The Magna is a widened Sigma platform (as per the pic). The Magna is unique to Mitsubishi Australia.
For the Australian market they needed a car with more room to try and compete with the Commodore and Falcon so they widened the Sigma FWD platform to become the Magna.
If you look closely you can see the Magna is wider by about 4" from memory.
StazzyBabyYeah get a tape measure and measure that FWD Sigma.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

It still has the Magna shape.. and doesn't look like any Sigma that Australia ever got.

So to Aussie eyes.. it's a silly Magna. It may be 4" skinnier.. but it's still a Magna. And a yucky one at that. :wink:
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Cookiemonster wrote:It still has the Magna shape.. and doesn't look like any Sigma that Australia ever got.

So to Aussie eyes.. it's a silly Magna. It may be 4" skinnier.. but it's still a Magna. And a yucky one at that. :wink:
I love you too cookie :roll:
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:
Cookiemonster wrote:It still has the Magna shape.. and doesn't look like any Sigma that Australia ever got.

I love you too cookie :roll:
*hugs*
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

im sure that that sort of tenderness between a kiwi and cookiemonster is either illegal or immoral... :o
oz, here i come....
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Re: Can anyone identify this sigma

Post by Powerslave »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote: it's got the dredded oil leak my old starion had, oil all over the rear of the engine
If that's the case , don't jump to conclusions. I've had a TN magna for 11 years and oddly , it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned (probably cause it's a 5 speed , those auto's were plain crap). Mine also had oil pissing out the rear of the engine at one stage, but after cleaning it all up , turned out to be a $3 camshaft seal (the only engine part in 11 years !) that can be replaced in under 15 minutes without the need of a torque wrench.

:beer
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

StazzyBabyYeah can you messure across the roof?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Powerslave, thats exactly what i thought it was, but the guy seemed to think it was the gasket and D seal, but the oil was really only below the cam seal, how do you go about changing them? were the auto's one's for shitting themselves?

I pick the car up tomorrow I'll get the measurements for ya then :)