SAFCs

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Camotec wrote:MRB i agree with you about that 100%

except for the bit about the Jaycar project. main reason is cause the jaycar project only works with 0-5v and 0-12v hotwire type signals, where the starion signal is a frequency signal like a sine wave frequency which the jaycar package dosen't recognise. (unless there is somthing you know that i don't man, if you know somthing tell me damnit!!)

Cheers
Ben
Sorry Ben I meant from a general engineering point of view. But yes the Jaycar box only works with voltages which is a bummer :?
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Powerslave Wrote:
True , but don't forget , the standard ECU is still restricted by the fuel cut @ 50% duty cycle , so by tricking the ECU to supply more fuel will only bring the cut in earlier. There is NO magic controller / box that will work on our AUS ECU's because of this fact. If you want more fuel at or above the ECU's limit , then u need a new ECU.
Powerslave thats because no magic controller/box is needed, the cut can be removed by cutting a single yellow wire.

Cheers
Ben
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

Not the yellow wire debate again. This will adversely affect your Air / Fuel ratios (lean-out).

You would be better off using a zener diode to clamp the voltage just below the threshold. EXAMPLE - if the voltage on the yellow wire reaches 6 volts and your ECU cuts , then buy a 5.8 volt zener and connect the anode to the yellow wire and the cathode to ground. This will at least give the ECU a better idea of what's really going on in your manifold as far as pressure is concerned. The zener will go (almost) short once it reaches it's rated voltage , and will clamp the voltage on the yellow wire , not letting it reach any higher. I will be investigating this once I have my O2 sensor installed to confirm it.

Many so called 'boost cut defender' kits are no more than a zener diode.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

The yellow wire stops the ecu from sensing when the boost goes too high and causes the cut, i mean yes at high boost i am sure the mixture would be leaner but this is ofcourse the whole reason why i want the safc.

Let us know how you go with the zener diode when you get your o2 sensor might be worth it, but measure it without the connection of the yellow wire aswell, i will be interested to see the difference.

Cheers
Ben
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

I have decided to try a few options before I got for an SAFC. I'm getting my dizzy overhauled and the spark curve re-graphed for a bit more refined advance/retard. Also, got myself an MSD coil, and will probably put in an OBX fuel pressure reg to drop the fuel pressure a bit.

Just a question about the yellow wire, I never really thought about cutting it but you reckon it will actually lean the mixture off a bit up top? How much by do you think? If its worth a shot I might try it.
I liek to flutter.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

I run a cut yellow wire for up to 14psi no problems but thats with a tc05 maybe with a tc06 (higher cfm) it might lean too much. Either way I have no problem and a cut wire works for me at the moment. in Saying that I am also working on somthing to allow me to adjust my fuel curve for high boost.

Anyways if i dont have good enough results with this i will buy an safc.

Cheers
Ben
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

Sounds interesting Ben, let us know how ur fuel adjuster work mate.
I had the yellow wire cut on my AC Cordia (also tc05) and it worked fine, I alsways assumed cutting the wire was plainly to get rid of boost cut with no side effects.
The main reason I havent CUT the wire on my new Cordia is cos I'm very anal about my engine bay, I dont like loose/cut wires and dodgy jobs any more, its all about being done right with this Cordia. I tried to disconnect the wire from the plug/harness itself but it wouldnt budge.
I liek to flutter.