Which Crank?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
4g6beat
I love starions

Which Crank?

Post by 4g6beat »

Ok i'm looking at a dohcconversion in a while i've scored an (na)dohc engine and i already have vr4 internals at the ready but the only thing i'm not sure about is which crank should i use? starion or the dohc crank is there any difference i rember vaugley that the vr4 rods have diferent diameters but i'm not sure if that was just on the piston pin diameter bore, or where the rod goes on the crank. Looks like i'll have to go find out anyway on vfaq for now anyway but if anyone knows it'd be a great help. :)

Also are there higher flow oil pumps available for the 4g63's (dohc), just wondering :roll:
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr_mitsu ... r_kit.html could always look at this, be rather grunty :)
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

VR 4 crank is the same as long as its a 6 Bolt flywheel crank, the snout for the balencer is shorter but not a problem JB cranks are the longest snout, Big End Dia are the seame for all engines. Yse your starion crank it is slightlly heavier and a little stronger. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Another question i notice the staz block doesnt have the bearing cradle caps should i put the vr4 ones in? and will they fit over the starion crank?.

I'm assuming both cranks are the same (both are 6 bolt) and will allow the bearing cradles to fit.

On another note are there any higher flowing oil pumps avaliable for our engines? or are the ones we have fine? also is there a diference between the na oil pump and the vr4 one?

thanks guys :)
Starion82
[L] Plates

Cranks

Post by Starion82 »

Don't change the caps unless you get the mains linebored at engineering shop, about $150-200. Pumps, well VR4 pumps have more flow & volume, some 25-37%, why do you need more oil? it takes more power and can produce BRG wash due to high pressure & volume at cold oil temps. :beer
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Ok would there be any great strength/revability gain from using the cradle? I'm basically looking at what needs to be done to freshen up my block for vr4 rods/pistons. I'm thinking new bearings since they'll be out anyway, piston rings, an engine/crank/rods/etc balance and to use arp rod/head bolts to put everything back in. Are there any other things i should have done engine wise Ie: lineboring and using the cradle or anything else that'd help?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

engine rebuild

Post by Starion VR4 »

If your going a full rebuild, then maybe a linehone of the mains, but really your money could be better spent else where, like on your turbo or a aftermarket ECU. Remove your ballance shafts use gapless rings, & ceramac coat piston crown combustion chamber, teflum coat skirts on piston as well, HPC do both of these and is worth it at $140-160. get cam ground and bobs your uncle. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.