snaped the head off a bolt help!!!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

snaped the head off a bolt help!!!

Post by gotrice? »

i was putting the heat sheid back on the car and snaped the head of the bolt, the one that goes into the exaust manifold from the turbo to hold the heat sheid on. didn't even use that much force either.
any ideas on getting it out?
I'm Back
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

You can buy a set of 'Easy Outs' which are a tapered reverse thread screw type thing. You drill a hole in the centre of the snapped off bolt and screw this in. Doesn't always work, and make sure you don't snap the tool as these are real hard to get out if you do.
Steve
Dorifto!

Post by Steve »

pretty common bolt to snap..
easy outs sometimes work, its a pretty low tension bolt, so they might work. Dont bother wasting your money on a cheap set, spend up, or they'll give you more trouble than they are worth.
You can weld another bolt to the broken bolt in the manifold, which is what i would do personally, and then undo the bolt that way. Too easy...
Alan
[P] Plater austaz

Snapped bolt

Post by Alan »

Looks likes this happens quite a bit.

Have a look at the thread called "Broken Thermostat housing bolt"

This is a similar problem that worked out OK.

There is also a link that describes how to try and recover if the ezyout doesn't work.

Alan.
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

cheers for the referral, the easy out is the way to go, very in expesive and a breeze to use. Patience is the key, as well as a steady hand.
best of luck, hope all goes well.

drew
- el schmicko detailer -