Lancer EX Turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
logik
I love starions

Lancer EX Turbo

Post by logik »

Hey guys,

Just put a post in Trading forum. Just wondering if anyone has information about these cars. I know they were released in australia mainly in NA form but apparently there are a few floating around.

Apart from the body, what are the differences between the starion and this car. I dont think there are many differences.

I like these compared to the Galants (ugh!).

logik
gordonspec® racing
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: Lancer EX Turbo

Post by mrb1 »

logik wrote:Hey guys,

Just put a post in Trading forum. Just wondering if anyone has information about these cars. I know they were released in australia mainly in NA form but apparently there are a few floating around.

Apart from the body, what are the differences between the starion and this car. I dont think there are many differences.
logik
These cars are super rare. Well apart from everything being different (except engine) where do you want me to start!
Our NZ friends will know a lot more about this car. The N/A ones did not have a 4G63. Someone on the list has one can't remember who (NZ guy I think).
These cars (EX turbo and the n/a version of that bodyshell) were not sold here by Mitsubishi Australia as far as I know.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

No this model was never released by MMAL in either NA or turbo form.

My limited understanding is that they had a very similar floorpan to the staz and shared suspension and drivetrain components.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The Lancer EX Turbo still had a solid rear axel, which is a big difference over the starion. They had the 1.8 4g62 non-intercooled engine in NZ, i think the 4g63 intercooled ones were only released in england?

I love this bodyshape aswell, and have been searching for a good example of a standard N/A model for buy for a few weeks, with plans to do up. I've only ever seen one of the factory turbo models in chch, and it was pretty rough. They are so ligh, and such a nice shape i rekon. Mate of mine just bought one for $250, we spent 2 days welding in new steel to fix some rust in various places, and its pretty sweet now.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

what exactly do you want to know?

i've heard the only ones in Australia are imports, i could put you in touch with someone who's got the 1800 turbo version.

over here in NZ we got heaps of the non turbo versions, a few imported 1800 turbo ones (EX1800 GSR) and none of the 2 litre ones (although i've heard rumours of a couple imported for rally).

i decided i wanted one so bought a 1600 carby lancer and i've swapped all the running gear to EX2000 spec (except lsd, very hard to find) and i'm working on mods and tidying up the exterior at the moment.

some pics and a bit of info on my car:

http://mitsi61.freeserverhost.com/galle ... p?album=13
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/683108/2

and if you want to find info on the turbo versions (especially the EX2000's) the best place i've found is the lancer register which has an Ex2000 specific page

http://www.lancerregister.com/forumdisp ... forumid=31

just ask if you want to know anything else

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
boosted
I like starions

Post by boosted »

Hi there,

Well, i've got an Lancer 2000 Turbo. It basicly has the same engine like the JA's. The weight is 1050kg. And the gears are a little shorter.

The cars are reall fun to drive, due to the solid rear axle a proper drift set up can be done easily. And as you all know also quite easy to tune.

A shame that they weren't avaliable in Australia. I know thet the 1.8L intercooled ones were avaliable in Malaysia and Japan, but not in Europe.

I don't have any pics of mine. But here a good link of some photos (again in the lancerregister)
http://www.lancerregister.com/event_ltday.php

Cheers

Adil
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

The drawback with the EX lancers is their weight compared with the earlier L series LA, LB, LC lancers which are 100kg+ lighter. My dad's old 2.6 powered LB lancer sports sedan weighed 920kg with 80 litres of fuel and him in it ready to race. An EX is a bit too heavy compared to that considering they're basically the same car.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

basically the same car? no crappy (my opinion anyway) leaf springs in an EX lancer. 4 link rear suspension means no axle tramp, easy to modify springs and shock setup. i considered the earlier lancer's (i think they look better personally) but in the long run the EX is going to be so much easier to tune the suspension for racing.

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

A similar car size wise... All the serious early lancers i've seen have got a 4 link rear end anyhow :)

Having the 4 link setup standard is definitely to the credit of the EX though. It's a shame they didn't release them in Aus.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Did you guys not get that shape of lancer at all?
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Nope. They weren't sold here :cry:

There are a few imports over here still rallying though.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Well, buggeroo! I rekon they're a damn cool shape. So damn simple aswell.
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

Well you have the 2000ex here in Holland.

They are very rare and most have rusted away but there are still a couple around.

As far as i know they can be quite fast as i know of one guy who put a 2.6 out of a widebody in it and ran it with about 1 bar of boost.

There is also one that is currently gettin the VR4 conversion over here.
Build engine T3/T4 turbo etc.

They like to use some starion parts for upgrades.
It seems the LSD of a staz can be fitted in the diff and parts from the brakes & wheels.
For a couple pics check out this forum:
http://www.2xceler8.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
ADR_lancer
[P] Plater austaz

Post by ADR_lancer »

I might be the NZ guy that was refered to. At the mo I'm trying to sus out my suspension now that I have just got it running again with a 2L staz bottom end in it.

Will try and sort out some photos once its back on all fours again, hopefully in a week.

Great car, but an absolute mission to get any sort of aftermerket parts for, but I still love it.

Matt.
EX Lancer Turbo
8 Valves of Fury
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

Just got this quote from Jspec.
I think im not going to import a Lancer EX.

I mean c'mon you can get a bombed silvia for that much (not that i want a silvia or anything :roll:)
James,

sorry for the delay

a couple of us in the office a Mitsubishi fans and would love to import one of these to Australia

I know the car you are referring too see attached pics now theses are very rare any where in the world now days

we do get asked about these all the time but due to the price we have never been able to import one

prices vary a lot on these cars depending on condition anything from 200,000yen $7,500 plus compliance for a poor to average one,

all the way up to this one in the example 680,000yen $14,900 plus compliance which is possibly the tidiest one we have ever seen for sale

Regards,

Gareth Allmon
J-Spec Imports
www.J-SPEC.com.au
gordonspec® racing