Shockers bottoming out???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Shockers bottoming out???

Post by DJ_NoVa »

Well any one seen my car knows its fucking low,
hate the speed bumps and even drive ways no matter how level they look for the outside....
my wheels push the fenders out so i can't turn thats how low it is..
other then my custom springs making it a stiff ride, i have noticed that it sounds like the shockers are bottoming out and not functioning porpley..
i cannnot look undert the wheel arch to even see if i can see any part of the shocker exposed... i believe it's compressed so much i'm clunking metal on metal every bump, ditch, hole, dip or drive way i go over and up....
therefore looking for anyone who has had the way problem and how did they fix it, searching throguh the posts every ones talking bout replacing this and that, and becoz i've lowered it so much, re-bearing and re-gasing the shockers wouldn't do a great deal if they aren't even working propley...
if i'm wrong please inform me...
cheers,
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Raise your car a bit?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

No doubt the shocks are stuffed too.. If you;ve compressed them all the way then you may have damaged the valving in them.

Like prozac said.. raise the car. The control arms should be parallel with the road with the car at rest.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Yeh dont have it so low... you will just continue to cause damage to your car and unless you plan on having hydraulics then there just is no practical use for having it that low. my car is low as are many other people's i'm sure, but not to the point of causing damage. imagine what would happen if you came across some roadworks that you couldnt avoid and lost an exhaust or damaged ur diff...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Paradoxx wrote:unless you plan on having hydraulics then there just is no practical use for having it that low.
Theres a practical use for hydraulics? ;)
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: Shockers bottoming out???

Post by cheaterparts »

DJ_NoVa wrote: my wheels push the fenders out so i can't turn thats how low it is..
other then my custom springs making it a stiff ride, i have noticed that it sounds like the shockers are bottoming out and not functioning porpley..
i cannnot look undert the wheel arch to even see if i can see any part of the shocker exposed... i believe it's compressed so much i'm clunking metal on metal every bump, ditch, hole, dip or drive way i go over and up....
therefore looking for anyone who has had the way problem and how did they fix it, searching throguh the posts every ones talking bout replacing this and that, and becoz i've lowered it so much, re-bearing and re-gasing the shockers wouldn't do a great deal if they aren't even working propley...
if i'm wrong please inform me...
cheers,

ok jack the car up and put saftey stands under the outer ends of your control arms under the stuts now remove the wheels now with the weight of the car on the stands you car see how much travel is left if any

I have shortened stut tubes before on sigma stuts ( same lenth as starion ) and fitted holden camira inserts from memory they are about 50 mm shorter in the body and also shorter over all lenth
worked quite well with 300 pound springs
I also fitted coil overs and adjustable top caps but thats another story

stephen

by the way for the street it does sound a bit low
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Or you can get the strut shaft machined shorter and rethreaded. And be careful working with them because if the shaft gets sucked back into the strut housing you'll never get it back out (ie leave the nut on the thread until you put on the top suspension plate)
This will also help keep the spring captive when you jack the car up.
It's slightly dodgy but it will move the shock travel up the tube so it will actually work.
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

thanks for the imput...
my pics of it are somewhere up on the site if not on my hosted site on car domain...
the car is as low as Kon's car my exhasut scrapes only ever sometimes when i go over the fat, wider speed humps because when it was fitted car wasn't loweered now since then i could only get it raise 1 inch without having it cut up and new bits put in...
back to the subject... the back end has bounce i can hear and tell the shockers are working there, front stiff as fuck... but have a feeling there may be a little bit of room for the shockers....
i was recommended to get my orginals regased and re-valved... at what cost i do not know, or look for replacements in the states n have them shipped over...
got part numbers for the krb's i think or something and they are able to be shipped out to here, at 30$US a peice
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein
C Fernance
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by C Fernance »

imagine what would happen if you came across some roadworks that you couldnt avoid and lost an exhaust or damaged ur diff...
Actually it's quite funny seing your exhaust bouncing down the road behind you :oops: The poor Scorp sounded like a drag car with a 2.5" straight through exhaust that ended at the diff. rofl
By day he is mild-mannered Chris Fernance, by night he becomes...ASTRON-man. "Defender of all things Scorpion, from the evil forces of COMMODORE-man"
mr mark
I like starions

hey

Post by mr mark »

a good person to talk to is jason get his ph. number of chris cos he works at a suspention joint if he cant get them shotend for you then he should be able to get them regasd or oil what ever it is!!! for cheap cheap :D
did i say something to annoy you??
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

is it worth just grabbing a set of these from the states,
MR2 struts (KBY AGX #765016)?????????
they are dirt cheap compared to the labour, and re-gasin revalving that i've been quoted here, as for searching for replacements has been had because she's dropped bout 2.5/3" and will need a smaller strut.
as well as new rubbers etc....
has any one imported struts/shockers, or is there a replacement that is in melbourne that suits the hieght of the car...
or is my best bet going to pedders saying this is whats wrong what can you do???
though i beleive that will end up costing more then is needed...
- Albert Einstein