Twin Cam Engines

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

nah

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

Nah the nurse just changed the batteries
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

What!?

Oh damn.. sorry, my hearing aid was off.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Jesusdroveastarion,
yes it would be good if the VR4 was a bolt in with the gearbox. The VR4 motor will make big power straight out of the box. A STOCK VR4 engine running 1bar with a decent exhaust will make 200hp at the wheels every day of the week without trying. That's a good 40HP more that a SOHC (stock 1bar intercooler) and the big difference is the power delivery, plenty of low down power a lot different to drive than the SOHC. But yes more costly. Don't get me wrong no bias in either direction. Whatever we can afford! Anyhow the VR4 engine is just as good as a SR20 (except maybe heavier!). Really most of the modern 4 valve jap engines are pretty similar.
Hey we still need those gearbox pics!
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Jesus is NOT against VR4's in a Starion. (hehe Jesus).

All he is saying is it is not as simple as people think.

For instance lets say it costs X-dollars to fit a VR-4 into a Starion. Now spend that same amount of X-dollars modifying the SOHC. The modded SOHC will make more power than the VR-4.

What you get with the VR-4 though is a platform for great horsepower that the SOHC want ever get close too in the long run.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

yer

Thats it bro just ask Jesus he has all the answers.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Jesus loves the little Stazzas
All the Stazzas in the world
Red and Yellow black and white
All are stazzas in his sight
Jesus Loves the little stazzas of the world
evogalant
I like starions

Post by evogalant »

But does he love the vr4 stazzas?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I'm choosing VR4 engine because I don't want to be limited by the rooftop of the SOHC head, then replace everything like cams etc to upgrade to a VR4 engine.

Even if I spent 5 grand on parts, and got the same power as someone who spent 4 grand on Starion upgrades - at the end of the day, I still have a lot more power to grow.

Thats my beleif anyway. Also the twin cam brings the car in to a 90's look, for show purposes as well. So I think all round there are benefits.

But if somebody buys a Starion for $2000, and only wants to spend a few grand on mods and nothing else, then the VR4 conversion would be a waste of time. ECU + 4 point inj + new cams + TD05-14 would probably generate more power than a stock VR4 engine

The reason I don't just go and buy a VR4, is because I'd have to strip almost everything out to get it down to the weight of an EVO or Starion. Also the RWD drivetrain is a lot stronger, no need to squeeze so much in to such a small space.

SR20DET - friend has a Pulsar GTi-R, set up for 550hp, capable of 650hp on NOS, but drivetrain (axles etc, gearbox replaced with dogbox) only capable of 600hp max, so that Nissan engine is definately a good one, but I beleive you could get similar power out of a 4G63 if you'd spent the same cash on mods as he did. Still I have too much Mitsi pride to do that, racing a Mitsi with a Nissan motor is kinda like saying 'Mitsi wasn't good enough' - and I'm more out to prove what Mitsi can do than what Nissan can.

Ramble over, high on caffiene atm and tired so dunno how much bs is in there.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Almost a lie in there, after this project is done, I want a GTS-4 with an RB26DETT, but nevermind that :)
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

hooray, eye is still bugged. :cry:

well, I bought my staz with an engine that was no good even as a boat anchor. so I figure a rebuild and a second hand engine + intercooler and mpi conversion would have been way over $1000 inc ecu.

vr4 complete $1200 (aprox)
turbo extractors $100
3" exhaust $120
gearbox $25
gearbox rebuild $30
thermostat mod $time and patience
inlet mods $ swapped my fwd manifold with a friend, he bought a vr4 for cordia but had a rwd manifold
loads of time $--
loads of frustration $--

so hey, not cheap, not easy, but for me in the position i am in its a good move me thinks.... pics today of gearbox
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

great, they found ANOTHER bit of crap in my eye. now have to go see special eye guy to make sure eye still works. damit!

hope these pics work. red arrow indicates the bits to look for.

http://www.pbase.com/scum/inbox

see u later, if i'm luckey :cry: [/url]
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

scum wrote:great, they found ANOTHER bit of crap in my eye. now have to go see special eye guy to make sure eye still works. damit!

hope these pics work. red arrow indicates the bits to look for.

http://www.pbase.com/scum/inbox

see u later, if i'm luckey :cry: [/url]
Oh.. i thought we were going to see pics of your eye. :)

Serioulsy though, I've had similar eye problems as you.. good luck with it. I know how uncomfortable it can be.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Are you going to use those Galant spotlights for your main lights, and remove the flash up models?
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

vr4 complete $1200 (aprox)
turbo extractors $100
3" exhaust $120
gearbox $25
gearbox rebuild $30
thermostat mod $time and patience
inlet mods $ swapped my fwd manifold with a friend, he bought a vr4 for cordia but had a rwd manifold
loads of time $--
loads of frustration $--
Hey scum I am not havinga a go at you or anything but I think your pricing is a little off. I just had a new 3 inch custom exhaust made from the turbo back for 800 dollars. Also where do you buy a gearbox that suits a vr4 engine for 25 bucks ? gearbox rebuild $30...you could nt even buy the gearbox oil and gaskets for that. You also make no mention whatsoever of the required ECU to run the VR4 ? And at the end you say that is not cheap ???? Even if you did all the work yourself you are not going to get a good Vr4 engine in for under $5,000 let alone the $1,505 dollars you quote.
This is exactly what I am talking about. The young guys here read this and think it is an easy and cheap conversion. If you have to pay somebody to do it you are looking at anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000
Figures actually quoted by somebody who does these conversions.
IT IS MAJOR !!!!!
Again not having a shot at you but I think it is wise to be a little more accurate for the young guys here.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

hmmm, looks like "scum" can weld and fab his own parts, although the sugested exhaust prices are a little low. 120 would get a mufler and around 100 for the bends and straight section should pull it up ok. If the rest is fact then he has some good(?) contacts.

Good luck with it mr scum
Ford G6ET 458wkws