85 Starion Narrow body, A183A = ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

ProZac wrote:
MrBishi wrote:My moneys on it being a jap import purely by the fact that the guards show evidence of having the funky jap spec wing mirrors on them.
Excellent point, I dont think those god awful things came on anything but jap models.
True, I didn't notice that. Case closed, it's a jap import.

The registration card thing in the lower corner of the passenger side of your windscreen also says the date the car was first registered in NZ - what does that say?
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

yep, its definitely a jap immport, plus im betting the year is wrong, i think '85 will be when it was first registered in new zealand.

so, really its a JA. (or as close as a jap import can be)

more pics....
oz, here i come....
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Yea i never meant to imply that it came from aussie, i thought the J series starion was more widespread than just Austrailia, but it's quite obvious it's a jap import because of those hideous front wing mirrors it used to have, only japan.. :? i don't think they carried that style of front bumper on till 85 aswell which indicates it's not NZ new, the speedo is 0-180kph which futher more points to japan but as of what it exactly is i havent the faintest clue and i had my doubts on the JA model as it has a TC-05 11A turbo charger, just a JA wannabe. I just may have to ring up some of the previous owners and annoy them :roll: , thanks for all your guys thoughts

It's in fairly decent condition few dents and scratches but I'm looking to have it paneled and painted, I'll post some more pics tomorrow

Oh and widebodywoody do you have a mobile?

Cheers again
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Just to get a fair idea of it's year, does anyone know when the light washers came out? My friend had a 83 that looked identical to myne except for minor things such a digital dash, rear window wiper, and those light washers. Or were the washers just a optional package?
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Mines 83, and has the washers... I think they were an option on any year.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I have a 1985 Starion GSR-III

Chassis: A183
Imported around 1990 in to NZ from Japan

Its got/had light washers, intercooler, digital dash, awesome air con, cloth interior, bonnet vents, facelift bumper (not the 1982 styles) and the nice scoop thing under the bumper, 215 wheels, and as I learned, JA style throttle body with JB style injectors (?), and I got the pretty three tier stereo system :D I got the Mitsi graphic equiliser, and 'Access' units - no idea what the hell the access unit does - thinking it might be a preamp. If anyone wants these, let me know.

Oh yeah and redtop engine with JET valves and TC05-12A turbo

Dunno if that helped, but it cured my boredom for a few minutes.
zaidja83
I like starions

Post by zaidja83 »

Spidersweb:

Do you know if your car has Limited Slip Diff????

And I am guessing your car has the automatic aerial at the back of the car and it goes up and down when you turn the stereo on and off.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

No it has the aerial that sits on top of the drivers side that is operated manually, as for LSD im not sure, anyway to tell?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Japanese with LSD is rare
NZ new with LSD is common

You can tell by getting underneath the car, and if you find a warning sticker that says 'USE LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL OIL ONLY' - then you have an LSD. There are better ways to check, but thats the easiest.

Mine does not have one damn it
But yep it does have the electric aerial at the rear of the car, and yep I had the rust bubbles removed from when water got inside
zaidja83
I like starions

Diff Ratio sticker

Post by zaidja83 »

Spiders web:

I had a look under my car and at the diff and found a sticker. I't practically fell off as I was rubbing the rust off the diff.

http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Starion_diff_ratio.jpg

I have asked the overseas international Japanese student that who is currently staying with us and she says the japanese writing stands for "Gar Ratio"

I guess it must translate to Gear Ratio = 3.909

Any one with an LSD seen this sticker?????

This is all I am going by. and I am not going to unbolt the diff just to find out. Not yet anyway until I need to.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

I have that sticker on my 3.9:1 LSD.

Looks like you have one very expensive piece of hardware there. It is worth well over $AUS1000.
zaidja83
I like starions

Post by zaidja83 »

Thanks for the confirmation cookie. Anyone else???

"Japanese with LSD is rare"...I think myself lucky then and maybe a good steal for a car I paid $3000.00 for.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Pics as promised Image Image Image Image
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

thats a nice staz' bro....
oz, here i come....
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

nice buy.
:D
good to see it has some character with all of those different factoy pieces.
- el schmicko detailer -