Opinions on turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
igottasicjb
I like starions more

my turbo choice.

Post by igottasicjb »

i've just purchased a garrett race turbo (gt2871r) for mine from mike vine turbo's. he was saying that the turbo on and sr20 make's full boost 18psi by 3200rpm so on mine he reckons full boost 16 psi by 3600. he also said that if your driving it in traffic plus have a big intercooler kit (lag time) you want to make positive pressure under 2200rpm ie 1 or 2 psi. this means it has enough power to cruise around without having to rev its tits off to get on boost. to do this with a standard turbo it would have had to have a small turbine ie wrx sorta stuff but then you lose top end. the gt28r has a moderate turbine (not to big or small) but its wheel has only nine blades not eleven like all factory turboes have so according to mike vine the car will be drivable on the street but push the go fast peddle and you better advise people with heart conditions to exit the car.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

StarionChef wrote:it did sort of bolt on kimbo, more so than any garret would
Thank you Cheffy.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

gt turbos are nice if u got the cash, but honestly I see no magic in the gt25/8s. When looking for a turbo for my ca18 I studied sr20 mods/ dyno/ ETs. Most 2 impressive sr20s ran reglar ol 28 hybrids, made more torque and none of the costly GT turbo'd SRs could match the ET.
Seems like too little gain (if any) for almost twice the price. Yes, they did make more hp tho, AFTER the owners threw cams + intake + header at the setups 'trying' to make the turbo 'look better'.
With a 0.64 hotside, that turbo should work well on a 2.0 sohc tho.
Downside is the risk of failure on bb turbo$$$$$$, not uncommon at all.... will make a grown man cry.
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

the turbo has a 0.64 rearing housing 0.70 front housing and the only reason i went for the gt was it was only 300 bucks more than a steel wheeled r33 turbo that is rated 100 hp less. i used to have a stocker 33 turbo on mine but changing to multipoint and the thirst for more power ment that a ceremic wheeled turbo wasn't going to cope with 16 pound of boost day in day out.

yes unfortunatly rebuild cost on bb turbo's cost big bucks if they can still be rebuild after a stuff up however most of the bb turbo's that i have seen stuffed are due mistreatment. ie people running bullshit boost in them 25 30 pounds, not letting them cool down long enough after hard runs along with 3 cases of not being bothered to hook up the coolant line to the turbo so on shut down there is no thermo cycling acurring in the cooling system so oil bakes on the bearing causing small deviations on the bearing surfaces thefore causing harmonic wobbles at high compressor speeds which flog's the bearingsand seals out quicker than you blink well not really it take about 5-10 hours and lack of oil pressure and flow due to thrashing the arse out of the engine for long periods therefore most common oils like your penrite hrp 5 through to 40 or some castrol oils looses its stability and vicousity(thins out and doesn't provide enough lube) due to high heat and the oil pump tends to churn the oil rather than pump it.

unfortunaly this oil problem and my harsness on an old engine getting alot mor than standard boost shoved into it caused the pistons to colapse and pinch the rings cause lose of compression and massive blo by and the excess oil in the combustion chamber made it detonate and consequently cracked the head nearly in half above the 3rd pot.

soo..after fixing and rebuild nearly the whole car the moral for me out of all this is treat the car nice 90% of the time and the other 10% will be toying with wrx drivers. don't let my self be lazy with cooling and selecting a qaulity oil and if i wanted a car to thrash all the time i'd buy a nissan (plenty of spares) and the turbo
should last me the time i want it too. if it doesn't yes you probably i might just cry :(
davidbek95
I've been here before

gt turbo

Post by davidbek95 »

i got a gt turbo on my car it is the best thing i have done to my car,second best is pulling of the tc-06 turbo which is hi-flowed,so go the gt turbo's,my thought on tc-06 they where made 20years ago.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

igottasicjb
man u had a catastophic engine failure it seems. wow

what I'm saying is ballbearing turbos simply not worth the risk. They're too finiky with their oiling requirements, add to that the things that can take out any turbo. ALOT of 'em fail for varous reason.
New technology or not, what is the benefit when u have turbos half the price, of comparable size, tearing them up at the strip.
Seen 2 different 2.0L/t28 put out 370+ ft-lbs torque to the wheels.
Look how many bigger turbo'd 2.0s can't match that... seen no GT come close either. Sure the gt25/8s are "good" turbo$$$$, I just don't see them as good choices.

evoIII 16G ($550usd brand new) is another 'old' turbo. Moving a 3350 pound 2.0L powered car to 11sec quarters is 'todays' performance.
How 'bout a tiny ca18det making 471 ft-lbs of torque fed by an 'old' 20G - simply amazing if ya ask me.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: gt turbo

Post by mrb1 »

davidbek95 wrote:i got a gt turbo on my car it is the best thing i have done to my car,second best is pulling of the tc-06 turbo which is hi-flowed,so go the gt turbo's,my thought on tc-06 they where made 20years ago.
Hey have you got some before and after (TC06 and GT) dyno runs you can post (with any other minor mods described)?
hollandgalant
[P] Plater austaz

Post by hollandgalant »

I have fitted a new Turbonetics TD 05-16 G stage 2 onto the 4g63 8 valve. This fits very fine onto starion and no additional work required direct bolt on including exhaust system. Spools very fast!, max boost available at 2000 rpm. Can support 350 hp.

More info www.turboneticsinc.com but I am not sure if this upgrade is still listed on the website but it is in their cataloque and can still be orderd through Turbonetics, delivery time appr. 4 weeks.

I´ve paid 800 us dollars for it