Newstyle/Coltspeed frontbar

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Newstyle/Coltspeed frontbar

Post by dirty sanchez »

Has any one installed a Newstyle or Coltspeed front bar? Do you remove the original bumper and just leave the metal bumper frame?
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

I would be interested to know this also, as if i dont have to get someone to install it, i wont :D.

If its just a remove front bar, replace with new front bar deal then i can handle that myself, but i thort it was a sort of clip on underneath old front bar affair.

What about skirts? How hard are they to install?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

It depends. I have removed the complete bar assembly and just have the fibreglass shell sitting there. Very light :D but no protection in a front ender. You can fabricate a crash bar up out of steel or aluminium to sit behind the spoiler if you want. Cookie had that then removed it when he realised it had extra weight :P

The spoiler itself can be attached to the car independent of needing to be attached to the steel bar itself.

Fitting is not hard, quite easy. You just need to be sure your car is actually straight (ie not accident damaged and out of alignment) and then mount it in lose and gradually tension the fastening points down to keep everything square and lined up..

Hope that helps.
Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

What do you actually fasten the bolts to? Am I supposed to remove the factory bumper but leave behind the metal subframe and then bolt the new bumper to the metal?
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

can someone post some pics of the fibreglass front bar prior to fitting???
also some photos of the attachment areas...
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

You remove the front bumper entirely. The airdam then attaches via the three tabs hanging off the header panel and screws into the sides of the front guards inside the wheel arches. I also intend to add a couple of braces attached between the lower lip at the front and somewhere around the towhook points (for a bit more stability).
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Thanks for that. I'd also be interested to know how you go with the bracing.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

In reference to what hcca said.

DONT

I did this and when you hit something, it shatters and there isn't any braces to protect it. It crumbles your car badly. Believe me, I did this. You can do what he said however, try and keep the front bar brace. Take the existing bar off,(4 bolts) and pull it all apart and attempt to keep the metal framing. This will help you when in an accident. If I hadn't installed IC piping the previous night, I would have crushed my engine.

Just be smart
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

hcca wrote:You remove the front bumper entirely. The airdam then attaches via the three tabs hanging off the header panel and screws into the sides of the front guards inside the wheel arches. I also intend to add a couple of braces attached between the lower lip at the front and somewhere around the towhook points (for a bit more stability).
hrm, ohwell that wont really work on my car its too bent, ill just spend the money on more engine mods :D
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

bent

Post by WidebodyWoody »

It doesn't matter if its bent, because it wont be seen. But you need support behind it.
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Don't run into things then.. :)

A lot of bumper bars are designed for the american market where they have to pass a 5kph test with no damage. However, yes of course you're going to root a lot of stuff up if you have no bumper at all.

You can't fit the metal brace from the old bumper inside. It doesn't fit. You would have to get a bar welded up to fit it. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to do this.