oil pressure sensor and tacho

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

oil pressure sensor and tacho

Post by rxtoy »

OPS: mine doesn't work, i know why, i just had a look and the wire (should there only be one?) coming off the sensor (big sticky outy bit on the passenger side of the block with a 6 faced head on it?) is broken off. thats fine, easy enough to fix, except i don't know where it goes!!!! help, it isn't shown on my wiring diagrams, i assume since it stands alone from the computer???

Tacho: works intermittently, sometimes its fine, sometimes it sticks around 3 or 4 grand, sometimes it slowly creeps up no matter what you're doing with the car, sometimes it just stays at zero. very strange, i can't think of a good reason why it would do this. my first thought was that the needle was bent and it was rubbing on the glass but its not that. its not shown on the wiring diagrams either, where would it take its signal from and does anyone know if its a +ve or -ve signal?

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Tacho takes -ve signal from the coil, i'd suggest wiring fault with those symptoms.

Sorry for the crappy pic, its the only one i could find. This is where the wire goes for the oil pressure gauge on a starion, same basic engine as your lancer.

kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

That sensor is the knock sensor, so connect that up while you are fixing things.
The oil pressure sensor is on the bottom of the oil distribution/pum/pressure regulater unit, which is at the front of the engine.

The sensor usually is a round unit with a male spade terminal on it.

Mine used to keep falling off - something to do with all the oil leaking out of it I think.
It wasnt me, nobody saw me do it, you cant proove a thing
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

tacho - i had a similar problem with my old celica, probably wont help you, but i'll tell it anyway. sometimes it would sit at 7000rpm, sometimes random, sometimes around the correct value. It turned out one of the fusible links was damaged (but not quite blown).
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

See told you so.

Prozac, you must have been writing at the same time as me. Now back to work
It wasnt me, nobody saw me do it, you cant proove a thing
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Gotta be quick round here mate :)

And, yes, i agree, mack to work, those ice cream machines wont clean themselves. oh god.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

:oops:

ah well, at least i know now i guess. still got the same problem, don't know which wire is meant to go to my oil pressure sensor. at least i know where it is now, in my own defense there is a guard under the car in the lancers which makes it impossible to see the sensor unless its removed.

the knock sensor? i guess i'm ok to run without it considering i have been and it runs through the ignitor box anyway (which i no longer have). i assume it just retards timing when it detects knock???? i'm running pretty conservative timing anyway (5 degrees before TDC on 91 octane fuel).

just wondering where the wires gone thats meant to go to my oil pressure sensor? i can't find a loose wire anywhere, the only one i'm unsure about goes onto a little one wire connection at the turbo (anybody know what this is?), i tried it on the oil pressure sensor and the gauge still didn't work and the car ran worse. this wire is connected in with the alternator wiring if that makes a difference?

i'll have to borrow a multimeter and see if i can find a wiring fault for the tacho, tomorrow hopefully

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D