Starion 4g63 > 4g54 2.6

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

Gutter_Rat wrote:I wouold buy a starion, but i dont like the engines, i have read on this forum for quite a while now and i have been scared ff them quite frankly, hence the supra in afew months.
in the engines defense, the only reason you hear about bad things with the engines is because thats what this forum is for, for when something screws up and they need help. eg. the tech forum is only showing the problems people have and asking help for.
_

Post by mrb1 »

Gutter_Rat wrote:I wouold buy a starion, but i dont like the engines, i have read on this forum for quite a while now and i have been scared ff them quite frankly, hence the supra in afew months.

I'm really not sure what your on about here :? There's nothing "wrong" with the engines???
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

hehe, i'd say the most common thing in here is people not being able to start their cars! ending up being wrong timing settings etc. don't hear to many stories of the engine blowin up tho.
_

Post by CussCuss »

decoys right, when was the last time you saw a post "help!!! my engines running perfectly" on any forum?
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

here here!
I just want to get my post count up :D
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

I see i have hit a nerve....

I didnt mean to have a go at the starion in any way i love the cars, but they seem to have alot of issues from what i read with parts failing (not the actual engine itself).

I may well buy one now as i got laid off from work, bye bye supra idea :(

depends if i can get a good stazza in SA for like $3000?!?
1983 JA Staz
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

I had a GJ scorp. 2.6 turbo...@5lb boost this was a weapon...but the g/box was in need of repair every 2-3 months...these are a good engine to turbo and you dont need to rev then hard to make them go.. attatch a T03 and a damn good clutch, and the oil pressure needs to be spot on with a excellent brand of oil...otherwise you get all kinds of engine trouble.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Here it is

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Ok, here it is.

The 4G63 is a good engine but not as powerful as the 4G54. The 4G63 comes with the bigger turbo but when I ran the 1/4 mile with the JA being stock I ran a 15.4 second pass. With the 2.6Litre, stock I ran a 14.7 secong pass. That is 0.7 of a second difference when stock. The 4G63 can have the DOHC and other upgrades done to it, but when you think about it, you do the same to the 4G54 and you will see the same results.

In my opinion and experience, the 4G54 is the better engine and once I put the bigger turbo on, it will fly. I was also thinking about putting on the JA turbo to compare the two engines for you all.