TD06 20G

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

TD06 20G

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Hey guys, any idea where I could get my hands on a bolt on TD06 20G for the Staz, I don't want to pay the big $$$$ from raceTEP and DSM. I was wondering a more local place to Aus? Or cheaper.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Check with truck part suppliers, the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries TD06-20G turbo is a small truck turbo I beleive. I know in NZ some performance companies order their turbos from the truck companies as its cheaper.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

turbo

Post by WidebodyWoody »

From experience I have been led to believe that the TD06 20G comes off of a RB25 engine as well.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: turbo

Post by mrb1 »

WidebodyWoody wrote:From experience I have been led to believe that the TD06 20G comes off of a RB25 engine as well.
This is incorrect.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah Nissan likes their Garret turbos.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

what sort of truck

Post by WidebodyWoody »

What sort of mitsi light weight truck are they off. I have a company looking into it for me at the moment but they need to know what it's off. Saying a TD06 20G from a mitsi truck doesn't help.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

If u plan to run a td06 turbine wheel, u will have to get your staz turbine housing machined, for it to be a true 'bolt-on'. Most mitsu td06 turbine wheel/housings have a T3 garret-type mounting flange.
Check with those that have run such 06 hot wheel to find out if the staz 080 housing/wg assembly can control boost effectively. Most creep outta control, but I hear nobody mentioning porting either- works wonders for the DSMs.
I'm guessing u have a widebody/ 2.6/ supporting mods/ etc..?
A td06 hotside 17C is a good $699usd option to sharpen your teeth on. If you don't run 12s with it, a 20G will hurt u more than help u.
I can point u to several brand new 20G turbo sources. 05H or 06 or 06H hot wheel. Or if you prefer a cartridge, then have your hsg machined locally.
I dunno about the stock 2.6 exhaust manifold tho... lotsa room for a better flow design, thats if its not even cracked yet. 80% of em are.
What do u want to spend usd$ ?

rb25 have a T3 footprint. A td0620g would've been an upgrade.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Sorry I can't find what truck its from, I did find a couple of bulldozers that run them.

The GMC Syclone trucks had the TD06-20G according to the net.

Your best bet is to cheat, call Mitsubishi and ask them what truck models have a listing for a TD06-20G turbocharger, Mitsubishi are suprisingly helpful with strange questions. I can't guarantee it was a 20G used in the Mitsi trucks, I just know it was a truck turbo, as the MHI turbos found there way in to many vehicles, and the brother company IHI even feeds its turbos to Subaru.

On many occasions Mitsi have answered questions and given advice to me about Starion modifications - even though the car went out of production over a decade ago.

NZ has a few TD06-20's floating around second hand, on average I'd say around $800-$1500. You could just get a TC06 and have it converted from an 11A to a 17C - should give some good power and would be cheaper overall I imagine. Especially here as you have to compete with EVO owners and big wallets.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

You will find on the truck turbos's the exhaust housing is all wrong. You will need to change that. But yes the rest of it is ok if you can find one!

Oz Starions already come with a TD/TC06 exhaust wheel. Use a Oz exhaust side and get a 20G wheel/ housing upgrade for the compressor end. Have a look at my web site.
The standard widebody TD05 turbo is a complete joke. The exhaust end has much less flow than the Oz 2.0 TC06, the exhaust wheel is the same a Cordia 1.8 !!!! The compressor wheel is smaller as well! When Mitsubishi used the 2.6 in the US Starion they went smaller turbo, go figure????
THROW IT AWAY ASAP.

No cheap way to do it unless you get a Sigma turbo manifold off somebody (but then you have to use an external wastegate). Then you can use any T3 pattern turbo which I guess are a lot easier to find at the right price. Then of course all new pipes etc, etc.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I have a Sigma exhaust manifold - with a TD05-12 to match lying here

But postage would be an ass to Oz, its heavy
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

turbz

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I knew that the TD06 20G came off of a Syclone. If I change the turbo off of my widebody, do I need new manifolds? I ran a 14.7 second pass at Willowbank raceway the other day with the standard turbo and internals. The car is stock but running 14psi. So, can the TD06 20G bolt straight on to the widebody or not?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: turbz

Post by mrb1 »

WidebodyWoody wrote:I knew that the TD06 20G came off of a Syclone. If I change the turbo off of my widebody, do I need new manifolds? I ran a 14.7 second pass at Willowbank raceway the other day with the standard turbo and internals. The car is stock but running 14psi. So, can the TD06 20G bolt straight on to the widebody or not?
I'm pretty sure the 20G Syclone one is a "special" with a Garrett exhaust flange. Perhaps so the yanks could easily switch to a Garrett if they decided to.
SpidersWeb,
the Oz Sigma turbo manifold is for a Garrett (Project by Mitsubishi Oz).

There is no cheap way to do it. Try and find someone who used to race Pajero's off road. They may have some Ralliart bits laying around.

Hey that's not a bad time. Do you have any dyno numbers?
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

turbz

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Nah, I haven't got dyno figures. I did beat a XR8, XR6 turbo and a 180SX and a civic with NOS.

I want to upgrade the turbo but need to know what I need to do. hy-flowing one wouldn't give me the same sort of power would it
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

check the starquest.com site. It has plenty of info on all things widebody ;)
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Easiest way is take it as it comes.

TD06-20G will have lag but not sure how much, but will definately crank some good hp

Buy the turbo of choice, and have the flanges changed on the car if it wont fit, maybe get a custom exhaust manifold done up too for some good flow. Also make sure that the turbo you buy is a good size, e.g. if the flow through the SOHC head isnt great a TD06-20G may be overdosed.

I'm also wondering myself, if the hp you can generate with a TD06-20G will be needed in a RWD Starion, or if its better just to get a TD05-16G big, and maybe later have it bored out to fit an 18G wheel once you've got some big fat tyres and good rear suspension. I don't know about your car, its just something Ive been asking myself lately about my plans for mine.