whirring/clunking from tailshaft..

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

whirring/clunking from tailshaft..

Post by Chris 83JA »

i get a whirring clunking noise from somewhere under my car. It's varies with the speed of the car, not with the gear, and it's the same whether my gearbox or clutch is in neutral or not. I don't think it's far back enough to be the diff, so i'm guessing the tailshafts the culprit.

I might change the uni's/joints if i can do it myself (to save the cash), anyone know part numbers? Is it a do-it-yourself job? It's probably worth doing them anyway, even if they aren't the cause, because there's a bit of slack in the drivetrain anyway

thanks for all help,

Chris
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

I had some strange creaking and scraping noises coming from under my car. It didn't sound like uni joints, but I jacked up the rear wheels and spun wheels, tailshaft etc. Because the tailshaft is hollow, you do get an audio illusion - the sound appeared to be coming from the centre of tailshaft, but no cracks, etc to be seen. So I pulled the tailshaft off, and found one UJ pretty well siezed and the other not far off.

I'm afraid it's not a DIY job (could be wrong - anybody done it before?). I had to take mine to a drivetrain & balancing place - not cheap, cost me 200 snappers to have the UJs replaced. At least the uni joints they fitted had grease nipples, though. And they gave it a nice fresh coat of black paint :)
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

If you have a decent vice it's pretty easy to do yourself.

That is provided they aren't staked in from factory (as opposed to circlip). Can someone confirm?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

200 bucks doesn't sound too bad. So I just have to take out the tailshaft and take it to a drivetrain joint then?
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

Check your wheel bearings too - they can make quite a noise, but usually don't clunk.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Chris 83JA wrote:200 bucks doesn't sound too bad. So I just have to take out the tailshaft and take it to a drivetrain joint then?
Yep. Make sure that you get the rear of the car up as high as you can before you take the tailshaft out (so you don't lose your gearbox oil). I back mine up onto ramps and jack one rear wheel off the ramp so I can turn the tailshaft to get to the bolts.

Hardy Spicer seem to be a pretty good and reliable mob - they do tailshafts & balancing, and I think they're in most states. Otherwise try 'Balancing Services' in the Yellow Pages.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Chock those front wheels people! Dont wanna hear about a starion owner found ravaged to death by wild dogs while trapped under his car.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

If you wanna get your tailshaft balanced properly and get uni joints fitted there's a place in Dandenong called GJ drivelines, ph 97063166.
I got them to remake my tailshaft cos my front yoke was bent when i broke my uni. They did it for about 90 bucks, and add about 30 bucks for the uni joint it doesnt cost much (including balancing).

But there should be plenty of service centres that can balance a tailshaft for you. And pretty much anywhere that has a press can fit the uni joint for you. It's a bit tricky to do it yourself, cos u need to make sure its straight when it goes in.
I reckon u should be up for about 50 - 80 bucks.

Steve
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Paradoxx wrote:I reckon u should be up for about 50 - 80 bucks.
Steve
:x ... everywhere I went quoted me ~200. Bugger!
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Yeh? It pays to shop around.
I got a nice coat of black paint too :P (well not me, the tailshaft)
i think it was 98 bucks to cut off the old yoke, weld on one from a holden, fit the unijoint, balanced and painted.
Cost me about 30 bucks for the uni joint itself.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Paradoxx wrote:i think it was 98 bucks to cut off the old yoke, weld on one from a holden, fit the unijoint, balanced and painted.
Interesting - so the yoke from a holden fits the splines on a Starion gearbox? Is there a particular type of Holden yoke which fits?
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Hehe i seem to be misleading you a bit

I have a supra gearbox, and hence a custom tailshaft. I have a holden yoke on the front because it's probably the most common and easiest to get uni joints for. I'm not sure if the spline is from a holden too, or if the yoke/spline is a bit of a hybrid.

But yeh it shouldnt cost too much to get a uni joint fitted.

Steve.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

:glare: ... it's surprising what difference a few trivial details (like different gearbox, engine, etc) make, isn't it? :)
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

LOL
But hey, u build a bridge... you get over it! :)
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

mmmm, imagine how fast your car would be if you got rid of the holden bits....

sorry, couldnt help it....
oz, here i come....