7M-GE in to a starion <Discarded. looking for a new turbi

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Ice Starion
I like starions more

Post by Ice Starion »

are´nt you mixing up 302 and 351. Because 351 comes either windsor or a cleveland and not the 302 from what i know i could be wrong
Birgir Örn

'87 Mitsubushi Starion
4G63 Polished & Ported Cylinder Head
1JZGTE
[P] Plates

Post by 1JZGTE »

Ice Starion wrote:are´nt you mixing up 302 and 351. Because 351 comes either windsor or a cleveland and not the 302 from what i know i could be wrong
both the 302 & 351 come in clevo or windsor.
when the clutch pops the bullshit stops!!!
1JZGTE
[P] Plates

Post by 1JZGTE »

We put a 7M in a older 83 rwd corolla. Later the owner found a cheap 1J and replaced the 7. The car was simply not as fast with the J, same tuning. The 7 was more brutal, broke more driveline parts and felt torquier. Biggest advantage of the 7 was the price. Started as a giveaway non turbo/w58... added used 7mgte pistons and went from there.
2J ? yeah, but I wouldn't give up a 7 for a 1J.
rofl no way a 1J will shit on a 7M with the same mods even with the smaller capacity also can u put a 1J head on a 2J bottom end or visa versa try that with your 7M apart from the fact it's pretty hard 2 find a 7M that hasn't had or wont need a rebuild b4 u put it in fair enough they are cheap but u get what u pay4 and when spending that much time , hassle & money engineering a car you'd be alot better off with the 1J in the long run 4 all out power ,more driveable , reliable, better economy better transmission choices the list goes on :D
when the clutch pops the bullshit stops!!!
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I wouldn't be that harsh on the 7M. With modifications, any motor can produce the goods. Just look at the how well old school V8's go when given the right treatment. The 2 valve 4G63 is an excellent example too. In Puerto Rico, they run 3T-C carby engines and run 7 second 1/4 miles with injection and big turbos.

I'm really only comparing factory engine vs. factory engine, and my preference is 1/2JZ over 7M if I had to do a conversion with a Toyota six.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

>>"no way a 1J will shit on a 7M with the same mods even with the smaller capacity"

So... what you are -telling- me is that this corolla is *way* faster with the 1J swap vs the 7m ?
That is a question. You seem to think I was asking one about this corolla. Quite amusing... absurd actually.
Another question. Have u actually done the 7m vs 1J SAME mods ?
Please show me a street 1J that makes over 6-700 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels, so we could compare. My buddy would appreciate the help. :)

Anyway, there has been enough squabbling on supraforums for us all.
Very same nonsense the sr20 'bandwagoners' heralded when they replaced their ka24de motors... nowadays, they get to watch in horror as 500+ whp street KAs popup on the regular. They dust the SRs at the dragstrip, dyno more torque and they haven't even touched their heads, cams or intakes yet.

What can be of use here is to tell the original poster how it 'behaves' with the additional weight up front in the staz.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

umm im buying a Supra with a 7M-GTE in afew months... someone who actually KNOWS please tell me if its a good idea or not.. its a MKIII(i think?!?) 1989 Supra Turbo, was gonna go the GT Twin Turbo, but no insurance company would touch me :(
1983 JA Staz
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

just make sure you check the history of the head gasket, and if it hasnt been done, get the head bolts retorqued as soon as. i've owned one of these before, the 7m is a f*ckin tough engine, and the r154 is as tough as any gearbox youd ever need. the biggest letdown on a 7m is the stock intercooler, although its big and nicely placed it gives wicked pressure drop, get a better i/c setup and a free flowing exhaust and speedtech NZ claims youll have 300hp. unlike the 1j, the 7m actually has a turbo that you dont have to throw away immediately and replace with something at least half decent. go the mighty 7m :twisted: like someone said, truly a brutal engine
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Ill throw my 2c in as Im also a big Toyota fan..

Quite simply, the 7M is tough, reasonably powerful, but they are damn heavy. Would really affect the balance of a small car like the Starion. If you'd like an idea of the size difference, measure up a MA61 (mk2) Supra nose/engine bay and then measure the Staz. 7Ms do have a fair whack of torque though, so may be good for drags, just dont corner too fast..

For a 6, Id personally go 1/2J, as its a much more refined engine, but Im of the opinion that Starions should stick to 4cyls..

An alloy block 4cyl twin cam turbo would probably be the best option IMHO.

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
Ice Starion
I like starions more

Post by Ice Starion »

Ok I have discarded the idea so iam back on a hunt for new turbo and as iam relay tired of looking iam just gone get a little bank loan and get a turbo from over seas

So iam looking for your help on finding a new turbo for under us$500 it doesn’t relay matter where the turbo comes from but any where in Europe would be best as taxes and shiping would be cheaper
Birgir Örn

'87 Mitsubushi Starion
4G63 Polished & Ported Cylinder Head