tc06 vs gt25

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dhump
[L] Plates

tc06 vs gt25

Post by dhump »

My TC06 is in need of a rebuild as there is some play in the shaft and it seems to be a lot laggier than usual. It has been hiflowed with a T04 Vtrim comp wheel (48lb/min) and back cut exhaust wheel.

My problem being do I repair this turbo or purchase a 400hp garrett GT25 turbo?? The Gt25 seems to have the same amount of compressor flow as my TC.

Will the GT produce any more horsepower or will it just have a less amount of lag due to the ball bearing centre?? Any suggestions on if this would be a backward step or a well worthwhile purchase for the dollars, considering by the time new water/oil lines and manifold adapter plate are purchased it will prob cost over double the dollars than to rebuild the TC.

Also, how much approx would the rebuild be bearing in mind that they will prob replace the seals as well.

thanks guys for your input.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

dont take this as gospel but.. i think the GT25 should flow about the same as you said but spool up better, having never been in a stock tc06'd car im not sure where they spool but the BB can only help.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Why did it fail ? Did it last a good while ?
how did the t04 v-trim/tc06 perform when it was healthy ? Sounds like a 400hp capable turbo. Question is, can you uncork the sohc 2.0.

I'm not into the hype of the smaller garret GT turbos. They fall short of expectations and hardly ever match the performance of the good 'ol $550 evoIII 16g. Plain ol' t3/t4s easily outperform them for a few hundred dollars less. Ballbearing mildly contributes to spool up, ~200rpms? Its more beneficial for transient response, if you use your car that sorta way. I don't. I dunno about you guys, but in the u.s., when your ball bearing turbo fails, it goes in the trash can. CHRAs cost roughly the same as a new turbo.