optical distributor alternatives

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
stariontron
I like starions more

optical distributor alternatives

Post by stariontron »

ok, ive got a spare dash setup minus the dizzy. i know its pretty hard to find optical distributors now, so are there any alternatives that i could use to get this setup working? someone mentioned ages ago something about the later model l300's or something like that. any thought would be appreciated, cheers.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

i looked into this b4 as i needed for an aftermarket computer i was going to purchase....hasnt gone thru yet due to the accident but the l300 dizzy from the 1989 i believe is a direct swap in.
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

direct swap in for a dash dizzy, or just the 8 valve one?
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

optical

Post by pajeroturbo »

the optical type from l300 goes on in every SOHC 2.0 motors. i have the same one and i am going to use it with a haltech e6x soon.
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Dash Dizzy

Post by jakobsladderz »

I don't think that the L300 distributor would be a direct replacement for the dash dizzy. If the dash has a vacuum advance dashpot and mechanical advance, you'll need to find one similar to replace it. The problem is that the dash distributor uses mechanical means to control timing, whereas the later model multi-point distributors have two sensors built in and use the ECU to control timing. Perfect for and aftermarket setup, no good for a factory setup.

I may be wrong here, I'm not 100% familiar with the dash factory setup. if the dash ECU can control ignition timing (if the dash distributor does NOT have mechanical/vacuum advance built in) then there will be no problems replacing it with a later model distributor so long as the connections are correct.

All these distributors will bolt in to any SOHC engine, as mentioned in an above post. It's just the signals they generate that are different.
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

hi, thanks for the responses, the dash dizzy doesnt have the little flying saucer valve on the side like the normal ones do, if thats what you mean by vacuum control. maybe i should cruise the wreckers, see what i can find.

has noone else tried this yet?
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Dash dizzy's (from my knowledge) have 360 sync slots and 4 ref slots. Youd have to find a similar setup to this to be a direct replacement and communicate with the stock ecu. I have a spare dash dizzy if you are interested :p

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

optical distributor

Post by pajeroturbo »

can someone tell me on the l300 optical distributor what kind of volt supply does it need to work,12v 8v or 5v ?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Check out the 89-90 model Sonata's in the wreckers. They also have optical distributors but you need to check them for the slotted disk. We picked one up for Maries car for $50.00.

Havent fitted it yet but looks the same as the optical from the L300.

Cheers
Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.