LH headlight wont go down

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

LH headlight wont go down

Post by niss720 »

I have recently started driving my JB again and remembered my pet hate since I got it, the LH headlight wont go down, it goes up but not down and I cbf winding it down every time i drive it at night so i end up just leaving them both up, which looks shit during the day.

Anyway I've tried swapping the motor with another one i had laying around and also tried swapping the relays with no luck. They both go up when i turn the lights on, and the right one goes down but i have to manually wind down the left one.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Max
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Have you lubed up all the moving parts, they do tend to bind up. If you unhook the motor, does it run in sync with the other headlight?
popup

Post by popup »

There is a switch I think combined in the motor mech that I think controls the relays when to stop turning the motor. Perhaps the alignment is wrong or a broken/corroded terminal/wire?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
niss720

Post by niss720 »

The light winds down easily and goes up in sinc with the other one so I don't think that there's a binding problem.
The switch in the motor was my first bet too but I swapped the motors and no luck.

Does anyone know what wires are for what? There are 5 wires from memory, 2 grounds ( 1 for the inner switch and one to ground the motors) 2 switch wires and 2 power wires to pull up and down the lights. I checked a while back and had had 12v but may be a broken wire that's not passing enough current?
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
4G63 VR4 cordia
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

I had a dodgy connection on a foglight that caused this on my car. I remember playing around with relays next to where the fusible links are as well.
My suggestion is make sure your relays are in order first, then unplug all your foglight connections, then reconnect them with near 100% tightness.
From memory, one of the female connectors can crack on the sides making a loose connection.
:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
niss720

Post by niss720 »

My Jb doesn't have a fog light relay, hasn't had one as long as I've had it and I've always intended to rewire it with a more modern one as I can't find a replacement, does anyone have one they can spare or have a part number?
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
4G63 VR4 cordia
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Broken wire or bad connection in/next to the round connector that plugs into the headlight motor
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

When they're off, try slowly pressing the on switch at an angle. Could be bad contacts in the switch. A cleaning usually sorts out that issue.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Same problem happened to me. Traced to a corroded wire in the flexible loom behind the headlight. Problem occurred when the loom was rubbing against a metal bracket when the head lights popped up & down, which wore through the insulation which exposed the copper wire which eventually corroded away.
Might pay to check the wiring on both headlights to ensure the wiring is not rubbing on anything when the headlights pop up & down.
panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser