Conversions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Thats a very open ended question really. Mainly comes down to whether you have the knowledge and skills to do alot yourself, or if you are paying a workshop to do it all.
The later will get very pricey very quickly.
Then there is choice of engine as well as all manner of engines have been transplanted into starions from SBC v8s to1uzfe to LS1s to twincam 4g63t to sr20.
What is your budget and intentions for the car? Anything can be done if you have know how/tools/fabricating skills/deep pockets!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

The single cam can make 300+ hp and my car would still be an SC stroker except for a dud dynotuner. so how much power are you wanting??

Did you use forged pistons in it ??
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

There are manifolds that will bolt on and the easiest is an L300 BUT it has next to no plenum volume.
A manifold from single cam 8 valve from a Gallant or Sonata is far better BUT you will need to reverse the position of the TB to suit RWD.
You will also need 4 injectors ( I have them 4 sale )and an aftermarket computer wired in to run the swap.
I ran the stock pistons for a long time on 15 psi before they failed so IF you keep it under say 10 psi with a good tune you should be ok.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

As I said earlier you need an 8 VALVE SINGLE CAM MANIFOLD.
They were in the SE Gallant front wheel drives sold around 1990. The Gallant GSR's that were sold at the time were twin cam
The Sonatas sold around then or a bit later had the same motor.
You can reuse the TB or fit the larger Falcon TB
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

info on the L300 mani if it helps:

http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au/L300.html

Do you have a power goal or budget in mind?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Paying a workshop to do a dohc conversion with a proper engine build etc you're looking over 20k. Shit adds up very quickly!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

redzone wrote:Paying a workshop to do a dohc conversion with a proper engine build etc you're looking over 20k. Shit adds up very quickly!
Or a well built engine, with the good bits will cost more than 20k on it's own.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

craigm wrote:What approximate gains are to be had using an l300 setup vs sonata, thanks for all the input, I can get a l300 set up for $0
Unsure of any power differences, but pipework will be easier if you have a cooler on the stock setup. If you have no cooler, sonata will make pipework a bit simpler and shorter.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

From most accounts, the Sonata manifold is the preferable design if you plan on using the l300 one as is. However, the water connection going to the top of the radiator is at the back of the sonata manifold, but at the front of the l300 manifold, so solely with this regard the l300 has one up on the sonata manifold. The sonata manifold has the throttle body on the wrong side, so it will need to be cut off and welded onto the other side.

Given that the manifolds would normally cost between 150 and 300 ish dollars, if you can get an l300 one for 0, then you could spend the 300 you just saved in customizing the top chamber into one with larger volume and a front facing throttle body - this is the best mpi manifold if I'm not mistaken.

As Al said, if you already have an intercooler and the piping currently goes from the stock throttle body injection manifold to the turbo side of the car, you would need to redo more of your piping with a front facing throttle body.

Cost wise, MPI is by far the cheapest, but only if you are happy with around about a max of 190-200rwkw. Beyond this you will have diminishing returns. Every additional kw costs more and more dollars, and it's potentially more cost effective to have gone twin cam from the start.

additional info on mpi:
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

So Parts needed:
Manifold
Injectors
Computer
Loom
Locked Distributor
Piping
Intercooler and associated mounting if you don't have one already

Possibly more I'm forgetting about. This is not including upgraded turbo etc.

So total cost depends on how much you pay for each of the parts, how much of the work you can do yourself (don't forget about customizing the loom and also about tuning. The end performance is only ever as good as the tune), and of course, what else you might need to do to reach your power goal - cam upgrades, turbo upgrades exhaust upgrades.. etc
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

more mpi info from a total genius mofo's build(s) in the following link, but a LOT of random stuff to read thru if you can be bothered:

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0
quest wrote: