Speaker wiring help

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Speaker wiring help

Post by Vulpes »

Can somebody please tell me what the colour of the speaker wires for the front speakers on a JA is. I'm struggling with the stupid diagram. It says a black wire is common to all speakers and that is simply not the case. I have never been able to read a wiring diagram. HELP !!!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

By the diagram, black is not common.

Front Left (L) - Lemon?
Front right (R) - Black white stripe
Rear left (BL) - Black lemon stripe
Rear right (BG) - black green stripe
Common GR? - grey maybe, diagram is a bit unclear
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

I dont understand the common business? each speaker has two wires, pos and neg. There are corresponding wires from the unit? how can there be common? it makes no sense :(
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

There are two wires to each speaker (a positive and negative), yes that's true, but at the radio all the negatives are joined together. I'm not sure if it's in the plug (4 wires going from one connector) or inside the radio.

If you look at the diagram, all the negatives for the rest of the electrics have a common ground (the car body and negative battery terminal)
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Cool thanks Al.
kailo
Dorifto!

Post by kailo »

L = Blue normally
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

Also, having a common ground will cause a problem with modern head units. You can not connect the negatives from the head units together or to ground.

Two options, either run new wires from the speakers to the head unit or install a capacitor in series with the speaker and use only the positive output. You will only get about 10 watts though.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

kailo wrote:L = Blue normally
Good to know....or they could put the legend on the drawing
popup wrote:Also, having a common ground will cause a problem with modern head units. You can not connect the negatives from the head units together or to ground.

Two options, either run new wires from the speakers to the head unit or install a capacitor in series with the speaker and use only the positive output. You will only get about 10 watts though.
If you have a new head unit then it would have all the pinouts on the loom and wires will be left for each speaker connection.
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

Re: Speaker wiring help

Post by StarionJD »

Vulpes wrote:Can somebody please tell me what the colour of the speaker wires for the front speakers on a JA is. I'm struggling with the stupid diagram. It says a black wire is common to all speakers and that is simply not the case. I have never been able to read a wiring diagram. HELP !!!
Had all sorts of problems putting in a Clarion radio into my JD. The prints were almost useless.....actually useless and they were in color.

Firstly with ignition key off, probe wiring loom radio connector.
Use multimeter to find +12V with respect to the chassis. This is memory for radio stations etc.
Also try to work out any earths ie do any connector pins go to chassis ground. (Probably not)

Turn on ignition, look for another 12V. This is radio on.
Don't recall which way round the colors are but should be yellow or red. The other 12V will be the opposite color.

Next with meter on ohms, probe each wire with all others in turn.
The speaker should 'buzz' or 'click' when you get the right two wires.
Don't know how many speakers you have, so you may have some Not Connected pins.

Note: You may have some speakers connected in series ie a wire between two speakers but you only have access to one terminal on each speaker when checking on ohms.

PS Don't know how you can find the + or - of each speaker short of removing covers et al.

Jack
Jako
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

Re: Speaker wiring help

Post by StarionJD »

Vulpes wrote:Can somebody please tell me what the colour of the speaker wires for the front speakers on a JA is. I'm struggling with the stupid diagram. It says a black wire is common to all speakers and that is simply not the case. I have never been able to read a wiring diagram. HELP !!!
Addition: Just realised that I have a partial dash. Not sure if it is a JA.

Larger speaker (on left)
Connector goes to speaker directly
-ve dirty white or grey
+ve blue

Smaller speaker (on right)
Soldered wires.
Cannot see +ve or -ve on speaker itself.
Wires Yellow/Black
Bleck
Both wires other end have a plastic connector.

Jack
Jako
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Thanks guys, fuck it. It seems to work ok even with one wire not connected. Weird? So I just put it back in. I can't wait to drive it this weekend, it's been too long.
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

Post by StarionJD »

Vulpes wrote:Thanks guys, fuck it. It seems to work ok even with one wire not connected. Weird? So I just put it back in. I can't wait to drive it this weekend, it's been too long.
Wire could be for electric antenna.....none on JA, or illumination which I presume would be lights on radio. (Would have tought that power on wire would do that. Never figured that one out on my JD.)
Jako
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

Alspos wrote:
popup wrote:Also, having a common ground will cause a problem with modern head units. You can not connect the negatives from the head units together or to ground.

If you have a new head unit then it would have all the pinouts on the loom and wires will be left for each speaker connection.
But don't the early starions have the negative of the speakers connected to chassis ground? With only the positive running to the head unit? I thought they were wired like this?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body