D2 Opinions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

D2 Opinions

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Hey everyone who have bought the D2 coilovers. What does everyone think of them? Are they good? Did they improve your drivability, handling etc? I am about to upgrade my suspension, and was considering getting the D2's, but pedders also suggested that they might be able to find something they can use to modify and fit for not too much more. Opinions?

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I installed them, then immediately did a 1000km road trip the following week.

They improved the handling no end... But my old suspension was very worn, so anything was going to help, and it's not a fair comparison.

They were very comfortable on the road trip however, with no unusual knocks or bangs. My other half even commented that the car felt quite 'sporty' but not 'jiggly'.

I'd definitely buy them again, but only for a road car. I'd look at a more serious option for a track car.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Brilliant for a road car, if you plan on track use you will need stiffer springs. I highly doubt pedders could do anything like the amount of damper adjustment the d2's have for close to the money they go for.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

They said it would end up being around $2000 plus installation. These days you can't get D2's for under $1500 delivered. I could always change the springs to stiffer ones later if they aren't quite what I want on the track. The car isn't going to be solely a track car, it will mainly be a road car with the occasional track use. So maybe the D2's are better. :beer
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

When did they get that expensive?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Playing devils advocate here, but why coilovers?

Can you buy a nice set of springs and koni/kw/whoever inserts and go from there? They are adjustable for bump and rebound, should be enough for track work. I know if you are going to go to the trouble of corner weighting the car then coilovers make life a bit easier, but is that what you plan? Are you going to dump it in the weeds for cruise nights?

Also, you will probably have registration and insurance issues with coilovers unless you get a modification plate/engineers certificate won't you?

Thoughts.
Last edited by Alspos on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Those are all excellent points. I know once I found a height I liked with my coilovers, I never moved them again.
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

I'd be concerned with the longevity. D2/xyz/K-sport has had numerous issues in the past with quality control.

Cheap now but expensive later.

For a weekend toy that barely gets any miles/K's... they'll probably last a while though.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

They are stopping production of them so they are now more expensive :(

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't last any less than a set of inserts would.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Adam, I have a spare set of Spindle's that have been welded ready for aftermarket struts here, if you are interested.

What about BC racing or XYZ?

Edit: Just had a look, K-Sport still have a listing

K-MT-39 STARION WELDING 82~90 P+ P

Keep in mind, coilover springs are an easy swap over if the ones they come with dont suit. We sell a couple of brands.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

I'm awaiting my d2 coilovers from america in the next month or so.. been told the spring rates are 8.6 in the front and 6 in the rear.. i don't think thats to bad and will be a big improvement from the old suspension setup along side new bushings etc throughout. Also to upgrade to stiffer springs i think my seller said it was $100 a pair of the stiffness you desire.. So can always upgrade in the future and have spares!

P.S, Mine were nowhere near 1500$ landed to buy....
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

You got in on the latest Group Buy on Starquest?
John196701
I like starions

Post by John196701 »

why don't you try these guys, they are on the gold coast

http://www.racinglogic.com.au/

JB Starion Black, owned since 1988
JB Starion Black, track car build
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Komeuppance wrote:I'd be concerned with the longevity. D2/xyz/K-sport has had numerous issues in the past with quality control.

Cheap now but expensive later.

For a weekend toy that barely gets any miles/K's... they'll probably last a while though.

-Robert
You'll be thinking of the original D2's, which were utter utter crap. Easily the most terrible suspension I've ever driven on. Rock hard at the softest settings, leaking within 2 months, and just plain rubbish.

That made me check out the 'gen 2' D2 stuff very carefully before I put them in my black car. Quality is on par with all the other coils over out there towards the cheaper end of the scale, BC Golds, etc.

Mine have taken a pounding, and are still going strong.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

1320ft wrote:Adam, I have a spare set of Spindle's that have been welded ready for aftermarket struts here, if you are interested.

What about BC racing or XYZ?

Edit: Just had a look, K-Sport still have a listing

K-MT-39 STARION WELDING 82~90 P+ P

Keep in mind, coilover springs are an easy swap over if the ones they come with dont suit. We sell a couple of brands.
K-Sport, XYZ, and D2 are all manufactured in the same place, bits are anodized different colours, then branded. If they're stopping production of the D2's, I's assume the others will be ceasing too.