Oil and Water gauge taping

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Oil and Water gauge taping

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Hey guys

Getting ready for when I enter some events, I have been installing some after market gauges. I wanted to know where everyone taps their water temp gauge sensor and their oil pressure gauge into on these cars. The manual said the water temp is supposed to tap into the block... Really?Thanks.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Just remove the oil pressure sender and install a STEEL NOT BRASS T piece and refit the factory and new OP lines.
I would do the same sort of thing for the water temps so the factory gauge still works
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

is that due to brass expansion rate being higher than that of steel?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Does anyone know where these current senders are located? I haven't had time to look in my manual and figured others would already know.

I am thinking of using a brass or steel line for the OP line as it came with what looks to be plastic? I am worried about that shit melting. Ideas?
John196701
I like starions

Post by John196701 »

the water temp sensor in below the thermostat housing, there are 2, one is for the EFI and the other is for the factory guage, the oil pressure sensor is below the oil filter, i would suggest getting an electronic oil pressure guage, don't run oil pressure lines into the car.
something like below
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7 ... nk=leftnav

JB Starion Black, owned since 1988
JB Starion Black, track car build
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:is that due to brass expansion rate being higher than that of steel?
I had brass oil fittings running my low OP light,factory and aftermarket gauges for years and had them fail/break on the dyno luckily it was spotted before it had dumped more than a litre of oil.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

John196701 wrote:the water temp sensor in below the thermostat housing, there are 2, one is for the EFI and the other is for the factory guage, the oil pressure sensor is below the oil filter, i would suggest getting an electronic oil pressure guage, don't run oil pressure lines into the car.
something like below
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7 ... nk=leftnav
wow.. only 60 bucks for a stepper motor gauge.. that's cheap! I wonder how well calibrated they are.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol