Wolf 3d v4 questions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Wolf 3d v4 questions

Post by enthuzed »

I have been fortunate enough to have scored one of these recently. Brand new with looms etc and never installed. However there is no hand controller nor cable to tune it and no instruction manual either. My questions:

Does this unit have dual tuning...e.g maps for nanna mode then another for balls out?

Does this one have lean burn on coasting like some do?

What is better, the hand controller or using a laptop to tune it?

How would I load a base map, the laptop would be required, right?

Anyone recommend a USB cable, one that works & doesn't screw up?

Anyone have a base map to suit a 2L with an Evo 3 big 16g, large intake & 450cc injectors?

Thank you!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

G'day mate,

I have the same ECU.

Dual tuning - yes, but you need a memory cartridge for it. It can't store 2 maps on the ECU alone.

Lean burn on coasting - no idea, sorry.

Laptop is better for tuning, but the hand controller can do quite a bit too.

Load a base map via a laptop and the serial cable.

Serial cable - older laptops are good because they have a serial port. Buy a cable from the Wolf distributor in Melbourne, the cable is about $90 from memory. I have been warned not to make a custom cable from the wiring diagrams you can find on the net - apparently they can screw the ECU.

Sorry, no I have no base map for your application.

Despite what you may hear, the Wolf 3D V4 is an excellent ECU. Those that bag it simply don't know it. It's packed full of features but is a little clunky to navigate. Clearly it's no match for current spec Motec or Haltech units, but it's a lot better than most budget ECUs.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

It might be no match for current spec motec or haltech units, but the wolf3d v500 is :)

The hand controllers are quite pricey for what they are. I used mine as a digital dash for a while, and it was good for basic readings other than rpm, which is useless as a number when you get over 4k where you actually need it.

Have you already got the hand controller? I've been looking for one but can never find them. There was one on ebay recently but the guy didn't want t separate it from the ecu - fair enough, but it sucks for me.

I wish I could get the pin outs for the hand controller cable - would be very useful.

Enthused, you have email.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

I have a Wolf 3dv4 on my car.

I use a laptop to tune it. You can have as many different maps as you like but only one in the ecu at any time. I have several saved on my laptop.

You can turn off the fuel on over run if you like but it is quite difficult to tune satisfactorily.

I think from memory the Wolf uses a serial cable so you need an adaptor to use it with a modern laptop with usb ports.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

mine has always had over run fuel cut on, without any dramas?

This is not the same as lean cruise though. I believe the wolf 3d will do lean cruise in closed loop, but it only works with narrow band sensors, or a specific bosch sensor that, for lack of a better term, 'simulates' wideband. This particlar sensor is quite pricey and not worth the money in my mind - but you can get controllers such as innovate and tech edge that will read a real wideband and put out the signal that the wolf wants.

Send a pm to StarionVR4 - he's a guru on these ecus from what I gather.

Lean cruise is on my to-do list too :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

I too have a Wolf 3dV4......I have many 2.0 litre and 2.3 litre maps......as stated buy a serial to USB cable from Wolf, I've tried aftermarket but the transfer rate was terrible therefore "locking up" the ECU.

It's a great ECU, only trouble is no knock control and or launch/anti-lag.

After loading a map transfer it to the memory card, that way if something goes wrong you will still have your map.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

btw thanks bitza for sending me the wolf3d stuff a while back :beer
quest wrote:
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

No problems, I have all the manuals including software for 3D versions 3 and 4. :)
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

You can use a narrow band oxygen sensor with the wolf 3dv4 if you want closed loop control. It is only really necessary if you have a cat converter though. A cat needs a stoichiometric mixture to operate efficiently hence the need for a oxygen sensor. If you don't have an oxygen sensor you can tune it to run leaner than stoichiometric.

The only wideband oxygen sensor that will work with the wolf is the bosch LSM-11 and it's only useful if you have the hand controller as there is no air/fuel ratio display in the pc software.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Humm.....that funny mine shows it.

coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

That's not air/fuel ratio ie. wideband output, that is narrowband oxygen sensor output exactly like I said.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

The one next to it is AFR.
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

My apologies, you are correct. The early software doesn't have an air/fuel ratio gauge.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Secret project Frank?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Does this unit have dual tuning...e.g maps for nanna mode then another for balls out? No, you need a memory catridge. Not worth it in my book

Does this one have lean burn on coasting like some do? Use fuel cut, stops all fuel injection when throttle closed.

What is better, the hand controller or using a laptop to tune it? USE A LAPTOP, the hand controller will drive you crazy trying to tune it. The hand controller in nothing more than a glory dash gauge. You don't need one.

How would I load a base map, the laptop would be required, right? Do you have the manuals? if not send me a PM & i will forward them to you. follow the instructions in there & you will be fine.

Anyone recommend a USB cable, one that works & doesn't screw up? I have a BELKIN F5U409 unit it works fine, but it's the software that locks up, you need ver 4.72... which I will send you

Anyone have a base map to suit a 2L with an Evo 3 big 16g, large intake & 450cc injectors? I have something here but really your better off doing your own map, it's safer & your not introducing someone else's problems which you don't know about. Give me a call when your ready & I can walk you through it. :beer :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.