Radiator size

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Radiator size

Post by FST4RD »

Hi all, just wondering if there is a calculation or something to work out how big a radiator has to be for a car
My starion, will will be standard except for a FMIC, slightly bigger exhaust and possibly a TD05-16g. Will be used on roads and for track days.
I have a plan in my head for a few things and what would help these plans out is a narrower radiator
I have been offered for cheap and full alloy race radiator, triple core, 364x422x69. I would be running the biggest electric fan I could fit on it. I could also run some better coolant as well.
Only thing is I'm having some doubts this would be enough to cool it?
Anyone able to help?
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Schultz
I like starions

G'day FST4RD

Post by Schultz »

I fitted an adjustable switch that has a sensor probe going into the top radiator hose. You can adjust when the electric fans cut in. My poor car was always running that little bit too warm but with the switch in it it is wonderful.
I am using a new standard radiator.

Hopefully that helps.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Its not necessarily about the overall radiator size that affects cooling, more airflow & making sure the rest of your cooling system is up to scratch.

That size should be fine, but make sure your water pump is in A1 condition, use a Tridon High Flow Thermostat, Hoses are in good cond, run a good coolant & an additive like Redline Water Wetter or Pro Blend 40 Below and make sure the cooling system is bled well, with no air bubbles.

Also, making sure your engine oil cooler is clean & flowing well makes a big difference.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

1320ft wrote:Its not necessarily about the overall radiator size that affects cooling, more airflow & making sure the rest of your cooling system is up to scratch.

That size should be fine, but make sure your water pump is in A1 condition, use a Tridon High Flow Thermostat, Hoses are in good cond, run a good coolant & an additive like Redline Water Wetter or Pro Blend 40 Below and make sure the cooling system is bled well, with no air bubbles.

Also, making sure your engine oil cooler is clean & flowing well makes a big difference.
Going to be doing head gasket, thermo, new hoses etc anyway.
Car has a lot of character, just ask Jas and proZac. It doesn't have power steering, and the steering cooler has been adapted to be the oil cooler...
I was planning on running the radiator in the factory position right in the middle with a big electric fan connected to the ignition so it's always running.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if you really wanted to see how small you can get away with, you could test the temperature of the water going into the motor at operating temp, and check to ensure that this matches with your new thin setup in the most extreme of conditions...

(i know this probably doesn't help you lol, but putting it out there anyway)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol