Identify Engine by engine number

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Schultz
I like starions

Identify Engine by engine number

Post by Schultz »

Is it possible to find out by the engine number what the block is? I am asking because whenever I change the head gasket I notice that I have 3 indents on the piston for valves. I think the dash head is 3 valves ~ so I am thinking that it is either a Dash block or Dash pistons in it?
The head I am running at the moment has 2 valves per cylinder only. The spare head has double valve springs with a Crow cam but also 2 valves per cylinder.
Any assistance for this would be greatly appreciated.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

8 valve pistons have 3 valve reliefs in the piston as the exhaust valves have different positions between cylinder 1 & 3 and cylinder 2 & 4, it saves having to make two different sets of pistons.

Out of interest are you running 30 psi through stock pistons?
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

No, I am running no balance shafts and a bit bigger pistons with 3 indents but a standard head and cam at the moment. I have to find a new clutch and pressure plate to suit my driving. Also I need to get a new Crow Cam because on mine one of the lopes has about 4 mm missing from wear, my guess would be that the valve got stuck and wore it.
I put a picture in photobucket of the engine so you can have a look what it looks like bolted in. You can see a few mods.
Other then that, yes I am running 30 pounds of boost and loving it. Ohh, and I have a varex muffler as well and when I open it under boost it feels like I have another 30 pound turbo kicking in. :D
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

30 psi!, what turbo and other mods do you have?
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

and what's it making on the dyno? :D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

Thank you RiceThief.

I have to chuck some rings into it one day and I am trying to work out what rings I would have to buy. The engine is out of Starion_kid696 Ja Starion. I bought it of him.
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

Tomsun

I run a MPI with 4 x 1000cc injectors and a Motec computer. A Garrett T4 BB Turbo and 3" exhaust all the way. Turbonetics delta gate mark 11 with front mounted intercooler. Forged pistons.
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

thrash

Sorry no dynos. Whenever we tried the dyno they blow the headgasket ~ that's why I am that good at changing the head gasket because I blew 7 in the last 6 month.

I should point out that I am not a mechanic or a spray painter or anything at all to do with cars, I just wing it, lol.
I just give things a go and see what happens. Too many people just take it to the mechanic or get it painted by a pro. I need to paint my car and will do it in the shed here. Never done it before but why not give it a go. I am the ONE that has to like it.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I think blowing 7 gaskets in 6 months is a good sign not to run 30psi..

Running 30psi could lead to more detonation and therefore will actually net you less power than a lower boost level. I wouldn't think the SOHC 8V head would keep up too well with the flow either.

If I were you I would be using a cometic multi layer steel head gasket with ARP head stud hardware. Sounds like the head is lifting up at high boost.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

dirtygalant

I don't think it is so much the 30 pounds of boost that is causing the trouble with the head gasket ~ it is more like when I open the muffler and it is like a second turbo kicking in. At the moment I drive with the muffler closed also I have a couple normal head gaskets in the shed for when I do blow it.
multi layer head gasket and arp studs are in the future to go on but I have to get a new cam first as well as a clutch.