12v dash info

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i'm confused.. how does a v6 magna plenum fit a 4 cylinder motor..? What am I missing here?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

zippo wrote:the 64 head has more to do with the cc chamber and the shapeshape not really the valves size.

I'm using the 64 head and from when I did the comparison with a Starion head the chamber cc was not different enough to worry about. I'm also using VR4 pistons in this engine, I remember the crown was about 2cc greater than the high comp standard GSR-III crown (12cc) so more like the Australian 14cc pistons. Given this thing blew the piston ring lands due to pinging I was happy to have lower compression.
zippo wrote:im going to look into that magna plenum,youve got me curious, also sure the kr/ks verada and the pajero run a 60mm t/body and another model but i forget, i must venture down to pick a part and check some out.
I cannot comment on the Pajero ones, and I don't know what model you are referring to anyway.

Zippo, based on what you said earlier, I don't think this plenum is suitable, it's an ugly billboard with runners cast in the side, lots of grinding to clean it up.

I want to avoid welding as much as possible, that's why I'm looking for a suitable throttle body and matching plenum from the same vehicle. And if I have to weld (which I will in order to attach to the L300 runners) I will grind the welds down to hide them as much as possible.
This is what I have in mind:

Yes, it's also got runners attached to the side, maybe I can rotate the TB 90 degrees so the welding for the runners is underneath.
I'll have to block the two unused holes in the plenum and possibly the other holes won't even line up properly so a plate will have to go in place and new holes drilled to suit the runners.
I won't know until I buy one, so at this stage I'm still looking at what else is more suitable.

So will the plenum or TB be too big?
I could chop the last two runners off and then shorten the plenum as well, once again blend the welding on the back of it in.

Any suggestions for a better setup?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

enthuzed wrote: I'm using the 64 head...
I've screwed down a Durapro graphite head gasket for the 64 head using ARP head studs for a 2.6L (P/N 207-4202) with 10mm spacers made up.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

ProZac wrote:Ahhhhh, I see, yes, very good point, they're all running the twin cam head, so compression ratios are up.
Zac just to clarify things the 64 head we are talking about is a single cam 8 valve which has a completely different chamber shape and larger volume as well as larger valves and ports compared to a 8v 63 head.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Yup yup, I was off in twin-cam land, thinking of only things 16v.

You can buy those SOHC heads brand new still here in NZ, pretty pricey though:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 978669.htm

Can clearly see in that picture the different combustion chamber shape. I had a cursory look at my weekend job for a performance head-gasket for the SOHC ones, and also came up with nothing :(.
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

i think you misunderstood , i agree the kr/ks plenum is no good to use.
the t/body on the other hand is 60mm amd is a factory item.

the 4cyl magna stuff are a good shape and most likely the easiest to graft on,but have small t/body.

v6 t/body's are larger but have terible plenums and would most likely inpossible to use.
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'm pretty sure tr/ts magna have a 60mm tb
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

so far i think the simplest for me is the sonata one because it has been cut and shut and currently fitted to the car, weld a flange on the end that has the ford bolt pattern and fit this spacer

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MUSTANG ... 4ab63f9c8d

it would extend the plenum volume and is 1" thick ,the dia hole is 75mm so a falcon ed-au xr-8 throttle body which is cheap and easy to find will bolt up hassle free.

now all i need to work out is get rid of the fuel rail and work out how to mount a better fuel rail, that shouldn"t be to hard a few brackets bent up will work.
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

ProZac wrote:the 16v SOHC heads are from the later galants and what not, they fit the EVO4 and onwards blocks, you know, after they flipped the head. You can fit them to our blocks, but there are quite a few mods that need to be done.
There are 16V SOHC heads which suit the earlier orientation too, they come from the 93-97 shape Galants and the post 1993 L300/Express vans.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

dirtygalant wrote:
ProZac wrote:the 16v SOHC heads are from the later galants and what not, they fit the EVO4 and onwards blocks, you know, after they flipped the head. You can fit them to our blocks, but there are quite a few mods that need to be done.
There are 16V SOHC heads which suit the earlier orientation too, they come from the 93-97 shape Galants and the post 1993 L300/Express vans.
Thanks for that info DG my memory is still working fine.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

dirtygalant wrote:
Really? Thats cool, I was unaware.

Were they distributed ignition, or a coil-pack system like the other stuff? If they didn't have a distributor, I wonder what they used for triggering.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

They have a distributor hanging off the gearbox end of the cylinder head much like the 6A1x SOHC and 6G7x SOHC 24V engines. They have the cam/crank sensors and coil pack built into the distributor.

The same SOHC 16V head in that orientation is used with coil packs in the later L400 Delica vans and use a separate crank and cam sensor like the Lancer Evo4+.

This is my old 1997 (old shape) NZDM Galant GLXi with 4G63 SOHC 16V. These engines come in the same shape Galant in Australia but not as common on Australia's roads as they are in NZ

ImageImage
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

If you are at the wreckers and find a motor looking like above, make sure to see the marking on the block (4g63).
The 4g9x camcover looks very similar:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

if you were gonna run one of those heads in a rwd you'd just run a L300 van 16v head, problem is they run all those extra oil drains like all other 7 bolts..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah but there's so many key differences which would be a dead give away. The timing belt cover is a different shape and width, the rocker cover on the 63/64 has more pronounced ridges, water pump and water pipe location, dipstick location, and not to mention the size of the entire motor is smaller on the 4G92/93
ImageImage