Camshafts Camshafts Camshafts

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Camshafts Camshafts Camshafts

Post by NXTIME »

One of the last mods to the engine that I have to do is replace the standard camshaft with something that will suit my current combination. What are peoples ideas/advice/experiences/recommendations regarding a camshaft upgrade. I have a very large turbo (TO4 60-1) and aim to drag race the car.

Charlie.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

BIG :D
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Looks like trial and eror mate, I say try the second biggest one we spoke about.
I gave you the specs (?) :)
Ford G6ET 458wkws
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

How much does shaving the head (mm ?) increase the compression by ? before risking the valves to piston clearance ?

And, yes I know it depends on bore mm, and 8v/12v or 16v to some extent aswell, just after a rough comparison :)

Also, just to increase my knowledge for the time being, if you have the 8v or 12v camshaft, will they just make a new one from scratch or can they actually weld/add material over the whole camshaft or lobes and then just reshape/lathe accordingly to new specs ?
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

what about if you got cam that would increase the torque alot more...that way the turb would spool up quicker etc....
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

SIRIUS wrote:what about if you got cam that would increase the torque alot more...that way the turb would spool up quicker etc....
Yes but restricts top end power drastically :shock:
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I have had the head shaved on my previous engine to bring the compression up from 7.5 to 8.7. Unsure how much was shaved off though. using the same pistons, the head on this engine was shaved to bring the comp up from 7.5:1 to 8.2:1.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

ahh k...hehehe well get a cam thats about half half...lol...

nxtime was there a big difference by raising the comp that much
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Also, just to increase my knowledge for the time being, if you have the 8v or 12v camshaft, will they just make a new one from scratch or can they actually weld/add material over the whole camshaft or lobes and then just reshape/lathe accordingly to new specs ?[/quote]

Anyone know ?
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

SIRIUS, yes there was. Throttle response and off-boost performance were improved. The higher comp also aided turbo spool up.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

if you shaved the head that much, wouldn't it throw your cam timing off considerably ? do u have an adjustable gear ?
Do you experience the notorious 4k power drop off that plague many 2.0 and 2.6 starions ?
Isn't barney? doing a cam upgrade currently ?
What cam do the 'experienced' staz guys run ? Surely this has been sorted already, somebody must know.
There was an excellent aussie webpage I read a while back on a sigma? 2.6 fwd sedan that tried all sorts of Wade? cam stages, cast Mahle? pistons, turbos etc.... very good info, anyone have it ?
I understand the (more aggresive) 2.0 cam fits the 2.6 motor. A recent post on SQC us site had a tbi 2.6 run 12s on a stock motor, stock cam, fuel mods and a 17C turbo. He tried the "banshee" cam offered by a forum member but removed it for some reason.... you gotta be careful when making this kinda purchase so as to avoid dissappointing results. I would only try a 'proven' cam, and make that single change only so I could gauge its impact.... I think thats what the 2.6 guy above did.
I've swapped various cams in an old toyota 1.8L 2 valve motor that made little to no difference, then got one Isky brand u.s. cam that turned the very same motor into a demon once at ~3700 rpm, night & day! I'd love a turbo cam that gave that sorta gain.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I just re-fitted the head on the weekend, so the car is afew weeks from running again.

The cam is from Crow cams ( i can get the specs if you want) I also got a price from Wade cams, who also have a good grind, so im told. The head has been highly modified now so it should peform better anyway. If you go their websites you can fill in a recomendation form and they will come back to you. I have also fitted double valve springs from Crow cams. the cam is designed to perform between 2800 rpm and 7200 rpm from memory.

I got an adjustable cam gear from RPW in Perth, They are about $120 exchange. visit www.rpw.com.au

Wade and Crow could only regrind my current cam as they dont do billetts anymore.

If you send me your private email address, I can send you the specs of the Wade cam.

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

how much did the cam re-grind cost you barney? also which turbo are you running? (ie: for what range will your cam be most effective?)
---------
TVR T350C
dhump
[L] Plates

Post by dhump »

with a turbo that big, i dont think they will be able to get enough overlap / lift from a regrind, especially inorder to maximise the turbos flow characteristics high in the rev range - you'll have to go billet.

mine cam is a RPW stage 2 (specs unknown).
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

dhump, did you request the specs from RPW at all?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T