Clutches

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Clutches

Post by bridgey »

What are people running, how do you find them?
Im in the market for a new one
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

can vouch for exedy copper mix with bronze lining.
400hp and happy, street use, plenty of skids.
allan cooked his racing and now runs an exedy button at 450hp and seems to be holding up.
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

I have a solid centre button clutch and if you intend to get one for a daily be prepared for the clattery noise off throttle in certain rev ranges They can be driven smoothly with practice but wear fast if slipped too much.
For a hi power daily i think a sprung cush button would be a goer.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Other thing you have to think about is if you get a clutch that's too strong you risk the gearbox if you monster it...
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

yeah ive been doing some research on cushion buttons, think that may be way to go
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox